Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Possible aspergers ?

(12 Posts)
babyinarms Fri 14-Jun-13 20:30:24

I have posted previously about DS (8). I thoughtbhe had language delay and new SALT felt it was more like aspergers. She feels his language is more disordered than delayed. She feels she is making very little progress with him because he has so many barriers .
He has never done creative or imaginary play. He finds it hard to read peoples emotions. He finds it hard to express emotions....he seems to imitate rather than really feel it iykwim
His reading comprehension is very poor. Tends to read word for word only and does not follow story line. He plays socially as long as its kicking a ball or running around but engages in very little conversation and humour is lost on him cos he tends to take things literally.
All that said I thought he was doing ok in school. According to his teacher in march he was holding his own. Just this wk the principal called me in to say they very concerned about him. He appears lost at times. He is difficult to engage with and has fallen down in standardised testing this year. They feel he gets very anxios when asked to participate in class. He is having an ed psychologist assessment nxt wk in hope to get some resource hours nxt sept.
Does it sound like aspergers ? He is a very shy timid polite boy also.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 14-Jun-13 20:47:53

EP can make recommendations re additional educational needs but cannot diagnose anything like AS.

You should ideally meet this EP post observation and ask this person outright about obtaining a statement for your son. Do not be put off if EP flannels you with a non straight answer.

Would suggest you look at IPSEA's website www.ipsea.org.uk as there are model letters on there you can use. You are his best - and only - advocate here. BTW you do not need a diagnosis in order to apply for a statement.

I would also ask your GP to refer you to a developmental paediatrician asap.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 14-Jun-13 20:49:12

last sentence should say "refer your son to a developmental paediatrician".

Sorry about the typo, typed too quickly.

babyinarms Fri 14-Jun-13 21:18:59

I thought ed psychologist could make diagnosis ! I suppose that is a bit somplistic when I think of it ! I live on ireland so it's a different system to yours. I've paid a small fortune over the last 2 years for SALT and now it seems he has hit a brick wall and not making any more progress.
I am very worried now as his scores are so low this year. I think a major issue with him is anxiety but he seems to keep ot all in hence no tantrums.
Thanks for reply. Will speak with gp also

babyinarms Fri 14-Jun-13 21:19:46

Thats a bit simplistic !

PolterGoose Fri 14-Jun-13 23:11:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

APMom Fri 14-Jun-13 23:33:22

Babyinarms, where in Ireland are you. You may be able to access services and diagnosis from a school age team through your local health centre or it may still be possible for you to get an Assessment of Needs done. Google it and you should be able to get contact details online. Be open to a different diagnosis to what you think it might be. My son was diagnosed with autism rather than Aspergers as he had a very slight speech delay but is in mainstream school and is academically very bright, but socially he is behind. I'm in Sth dublin if you want to send me a pm.

babyinarms Sat 15-Jun-13 00:26:44

Thank you. Polter I will def look into that workbook as his SALT feels his anxiety is really holding him back as he is afraid to get things wrong and so would prefer to say or do nothing rather than get it wrong.
AP I live in Cork. I was about to apply for an assessment of need but then the school approached me (only tues) to voice concerns. They have been offered a last minute ed psych review and want him to have it. In my niavity I thought this was a fast track but just googled autism Ireland and see this could be the first step in a very long process. At least im prepared now ! Might still apply for assessment of need if nothing comes of this.
School hoping to get some extra support for him for Sept so I hope that happens at least. Was it a long process for you? I'm not even sure if aspergers fits him cos he has some but not all traits. This lady nxt wk might have a totally different view point. It's all very subtle with Ds but yet he is obviously struggling. I honestly thought we would have some sort of diagnosis nxt wk but it looks unlikely. I just hope she makes good recommendations for school nxt year and they get it for him.
Thanks again.

babyinarms Sat 15-Jun-13 00:33:54

Polter I will also start keeping a diary as you said because it can be so difficult to pin point his areas of difficilty and it might just help me to explain it better. Thanks for the tip.

APMom Sat 15-Jun-13 21:20:55

Hi babyinarms, you should apply for the AON straight away as the Ed Psych will only diagnose educational problems. The AON should be completed within a certain timeframe but it all depends on access to all the professionals - in my area the psych is going on maternity leave next month and more than likely wont be replaced. It took 10 months from initial referral to diagnosis and that was rushed through because ds had a brilliant SALT who really pushed for him. I knew ds had autism even though he passed all developmental check ups but I was even surprised at all the criteria he met for the diagnosis. Have a look at Middletown autism, they provide free education for parents and professionals in the north, Dublin and Cork. AFAIK there are some coming up in the next few weeks in Cork, they are fantastic, I learn so much at them. There's an active SN forum on rollercoaster.ie. and a not quite as busy one on magicmum. I read a lot here on mums net but for stuff specific to Ireland you might get more info there (hope that's ok for me to say here on mums net).

babyinarms Sat 15-Jun-13 23:52:56

Thanks AP.
I will send off AON . It's all very confusing at the moment!
Will look into Middletown Autism and those other forums also cos I'm busy trying to gather as much information at the moment to make sure I'm on the right track with him.
I'm glad you got there with your DS and I hope he is getting good support at school. I just find it very upsetting to think of DS being so lost and confused in the classroom and holding it all in! He is an amazing kid and I know he has so much potential , we just need to find out how to tap into it!
Thanks again smile)

babyinarms Sun 16-Jun-13 00:05:48

Just checked out Middletown website and they have a seminar June 20th but its now closed to applications but I'll definitely keep a watchful eye for future dates. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now