Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I am going to try fish oils one more time...

(24 Posts)
Blossomhill Fri 26-May-06 14:37:37

Dd has reacted to eye q, efalex, boots smart omega and organic flax seed oil.

Am I mad to try Eskimo Oil? Please say no as I have just spent £16 on a bottle

Fingers crossed it works x

tobysmumkent Fri 26-May-06 14:40:07

Message withdrawn

butty Fri 26-May-06 14:43:54

Hi BH,

you deffo ain't mad, i'm still persisting with the haliborange for chloe and i think it does work to some degree, i havn't tried anything else, although i think i will look into different alternatives.

Good luck.

Butty.xxx

Blossomhill Fri 26-May-06 14:45:37

Tobysmum - that's what I was thinking. I really hope that it does help. thanks

Butty - dd would react big time to halibo as she does to orange flavours. Great for you though if it is helping. xx

I will report back as it tastes foul. Lets hope she takes it!

singersgirl Fri 26-May-06 19:01:08

Hi BH, Which Eskimo Oil have you got? I bought some capsules to try for DS1, but discovered they've got lemon oil in, which he'll react to. Will give them to DS2 instead. DS1 vomited trying vanilla flavour EyeQ liquid, and has trouble swallowing capsules.
Good luck anyway! Let us know how DD reacts.

sphil Fri 26-May-06 21:58:40

BH - know just how you feel - this whole fish oil thing is driving me mad! Started giving DS2 Eskimo oil about 4 weeks ago (kids one - tutti frutti flavour - didn't think it smelled too bad)because we wondered whether Eye-Q was making him more hyper at night. After about a week on Eskimo he started the wired night time behaviour again. So stopped giving it to him about 2 weeks ago - but he's still waking every night between 2 and 4-6am very noisy and excited. At the same time he's been making really good progress during the day with his communication and interaction.
Really have no idea whether fish oils are linked to the sleeplessness and/or to the improvements.

Sorry - this isn't helpful at all is it?
What sort of reaction did your DD have?

Blossomhill Fri 26-May-06 21:59:04

Hi Singersgirl - I have bought the kids eskimo 3.

It is a tutti fruti flavour.

I gave her some tonight and she said she wanted more as it gave her courage (although not entirely sure she knows what courage is!)

Just glad she took it okay!

Of course will keep you updated.

singersgirl Fri 26-May-06 22:00:39

I saw that one too, and thought the flavours might be a bit much for DS1. Good luck!

Blossomhill Fri 26-May-06 22:02:20

Hi Sphil - you posted while I was!

Well the reaction she had was more hyperactivity, harder to fall asleep and a general decrease in her behaviour (aggression etc) so we may have it on this as well :-S

It's so hard to tell isn't it though, whether ds would have improved with or without it. I always say that even if it helps dd to improve 5% it's 5% more than she would have iyswim.

We must compare notes again over the next week to see how it goes.

I buy the smart milk with omega and that seems to be ok.

At least we are on half term so I can deal with any reactions!

Blossomhill Fri 26-May-06 22:03:57

I went to a talk about Adhd this week and they were really praising the positives of fish oils. Now dd is on her medication it may work but if it doesn't this time then I will have to give up

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Fri 26-May-06 22:35:17

If eskimo oil doesn;t work give a supplement which is* just* omega 3s

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Fri 26-May-06 22:37:14

oh you've already given boots smart- hmm can't see ingredients, do you have them handy?

Blossomhill Fri 26-May-06 22:37:20

Can you recommend any jimjams? Thanks

Blossomhill Fri 26-May-06 22:39:16

jimjams - just scoured the medicine cupboard and don't have any boots left.

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Fri 26-May-06 22:40:33

not really because ds1 won't take any, and we gave nordic naturals (which is very good make) cod liver oil- because we needed the vitamin A.

You can give hemp and things as well, but I wouldn't go too mad over it. How long have you supplemented for?

Did you watch the film btw- that davros linked to? Wondered what you thought of it.m

Blossomhill Fri 26-May-06 22:42:59

Which film? The American one about autism?

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Fri 26-May-06 22:43:29

yep

Blossomhill Fri 26-May-06 22:45:02

Do you know something I was quite shocked by it to be honest and couldn't find the words to post what I wanted to if that makes sense?

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Fri 26-May-06 22:48:40

yes, I do. It shocked me because it was like watching my life from the outside, and I relaised what we must look like to other people. I think I have said every single thing those mothers said (except the suicide bit, although I can understand why people get to that stage). I also realised that actually our life is really difficult, compared to normality but when you're in it and doing it every day, and everyone you know well is in the same position you kind of lose that. So it';s interesting to see how others see it. I thought it was very accurate.......

You knoiw you could massage hemp oil into your dd's skin.......

Blossomhill Fri 26-May-06 22:55:28

Obviously my dd does display some very challenging behaviour at times (hit a teacher a few times this week ) so I do have understanding how hard it can be but we do have lulls in her behaviour. I guess what I am trying to say is that my dd is a watered down version of some of the kids on that film (infact that is exactly what she is).
It's weird as dd has similarities in some things and in others not, if that makes sense?

Would massaging it make a difference to how it affected dd do you think?

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Fri 26-May-06 23:00:06

nope- but its just being an oil it will absorb through the skin in a limited amount. some people recommend it. Personally I think eating it is better.

Blossomhill Fri 26-May-06 23:03:03

Well dd is lapping up in the eskimo oil so fingers crossed it does something x

sphil Sat 27-May-06 08:42:58

BH - Lol at DD's remark about the fish oil giving her 'courage'. It's exactly the sort of thing my DS1 would say!

Blossomhill Wed 31-May-06 10:20:52

Sphil - They are so funny aren't they?

Dd is always coming out with funny little things, has us in stitches most of the time!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: