Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

WPPSI scores - can anyone help?

(3 Posts)
sazale Sun 02-Jun-13 17:03:19

The clinical psychologist did the test as part of the ASD assessment process. She said no spikey profile as all within the average range but just received the detailed results and they look spikey to me! Can anyone shed any light?

Verbal IQ came out at 102 (55th percentile). With the verbal subtests
Information scaled score 8 (25th percentile)
Vocabulary 12 (75th percentile)
Word reasoning 12 (75th percentile)

Performance (non verbal) IQ 96 (39th percentile)
With the non verbal subtests
Block design 6 (9th percentile)
Matrix reasoning 10 (50th percentile)
Picture concepts 12 (75th percentile)

He doesn't have a diagnosis of ASD (been told he meets 2 out of the 3 areas of the triad) but there's something going on! He has ASD traits, selective mutism and a phonological speech disorder. We suspect he has dyslexia and possibly dyscalculia as he's struggling to read and write and is on p levels despite being really bright. He's in year 1. Thanks

BeeMom Sun 02-Jun-13 23:28:08

Aside from "block design", there is nothing that would be considered "out of range".

"Normals" for virtually all testing of this nature fall between the 18th and 82nd percentile. Unless you have those falling in the "above average" to "very superior" range as well as those falling in the "below average" to "very deficient" range, a profile is not considered spiky by the traditional definition. I know - that is hard to swallow.

It was difficult for me to understand, too...

sazale Mon 03-Jun-13 23:32:33

Thanks BeeMom. It's so frustrating trying to figure out what's going on with the little guy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now