Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Just really pleased with how first OT assessment on NHS went today

(7 Posts)
osospecial Tue 28-May-13 17:49:28

I thought I'd have to struggle to explain dd3 to her but she seemed to 'get' her straight away, her constantly seeking out sensory input by seeking out new experiences, climbing, jumping etc etc. She totally understood how dd had no sense of danger, and how we have to watch her all the time and the difficulties in school environment. I didn't have to say much, she could see by just watching dd in the room.
she was shocked that paed had said dd didn't fit criteria for asd ( due to lack of rigidity in routine) as she though she did and would put that in her report and send a copy to paed saying dd should have the asd assessment before 2 years time that we were given.
She explained why dd doesn't show much resistance to change routine as her need to seek out sensory input is greater, I'm prob not explaining very well so I'm glad she is writing it all down in a report! Things just seem clearer and I understand dd a bit better which is great. Also as I'm about to apply for stat assesment the report will be great to have to help explain DDs needs in school.

Handywoman Tue 28-May-13 18:06:34

oso how fantastic! Really pleased for you, what a brilliant OT and what a relief for you. Here, have one of these wine

osospecial Tue 28-May-13 18:22:01

Thanks Handy smile

lougle Tue 28-May-13 18:29:50

That's fabulous. Nice to hear a positive story smile

osospecial Tue 28-May-13 18:43:09

Thanks lougle

PolterGoose Tue 28-May-13 19:18:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

osospecial Tue 28-May-13 19:35:29

Yes I agree poltergoose, also as dd has been under NHS salt for about a year now and although I'm really disappointed at the actual amount of therapy she receives, they have gotten to know what DDs difficulties are and can write a report about them which is useful now I'm looking at her future educational needs, but her other huge barrier to learning is the sensory stuff (not being able to sit still and craving the sensory input is really becoming an issue now) and until today there wasn't any report I could use to describe that. I don't want dd to be seen as 'naughty' in school because of these issues. I'm really glad the OT said we will see her again in 3 months so dd will keep getting their help and input.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now