Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Appealing DLA decision?

(5 Posts)
extremepie Sun 26-May-13 13:20:16

Hello!

Got the DLA decision through today for borderline severe ASD DS, he was getting high rate care, now he is getting middle rate care and low rate mobility so in total our amount we get has gone down sad

How do I go about appealing this? What exactly do I have to do, they aren't very clear in the letter about it :s

What can I do to try and get the result we are hoping for next time around?

MareeeyaDoloures Sun 26-May-13 17:34:36

DLA Appeal leaflet has the official appeal form at the back. Has to be received by them maximum 1m after date on decision letter. So send it straight away.

As well as the official appeal, you can simply write to the office whose address is on the letter, stating you think they made the wrong decision, giving your reasons, and asking them to 'reconsider'. They process thousands a day, and only get a few minutes per case. Often someone just didn't read the form properly, or an important document got separated from it.

MareeeyaDoloures Sun 26-May-13 17:36:52

High rate care is 24 hour, middle rate is (basically) if they sleep through, or you only have to help them quite briefly, perhaps once or twice. The cerebra DLA guide is an excellent summary.

extremepie Mon 27-May-13 01:38:14

DS does definitely not sleep through! Often he will not settle or go back to sleep for hours, which is why he was on high rate in the first place so I don't quite understand why they have changed it as his care needs have not changed that much! Grrr!

Thanks for the links, will give them a go smile

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Mon 27-May-13 03:30:29

Citizens Advice will help you with an appeal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now