Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Cheap tool to help develop creative/flexible thinking

(16 Posts)
bochead Sat 25-May-13 11:15:53

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Creativity-Hub-Rorys-Story/dp/B003NFJMBM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369475101&sr=8-1&keywords=rorys+story+cubes

We've been playing with this tool recently & for a tenner I think it's a fantastic little tool that can easily be used by school social skills groups, at Grandma's etc. (It also makes a good "pub" game after a few glasses of wine for grown upswink).

I personally don't feel it is age limiting so thought it might be handy for any teens who are struggling with creative writing/english literature, inference etc. For younger children it can help with vocab development etc if you the "therapist" use it correctly.

Anyway just thought it was worth throwing out there both as a "heads up" for others; and to try and stimulate a discussion of ideas on ways to exapnd my own use of the tool in order to maximise the benefits iykwim.

Handywoman Sat 25-May-13 11:55:11

Had a quick look - they look fantastic. Thanks Boc. Will have another look later.

PolterGoose Sat 25-May-13 12:19:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

They look great!

Handywoman Thu 30-May-13 09:27:45

These came yesterday, they are hilarious!!! Great for developing language skills and at the same time being really, really, silly! Perfect.

moondog Thu 30-May-13 12:47:30

Linking again

I've had a look at this properly Boc and they are lovely.
So easy and simple to use.
No manuals to turn people off.
Just grab 'em and go!
Excellent!

zzzzz Thu 30-May-13 12:54:24

What brilliant idea....I may have to steal it! Grin

PolterGoose Thu 30-May-13 13:22:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Handywoman Thu 30-May-13 13:25:04

I am ordering the other sets too. They are so flexible and un challenging to the child. SALT by stealth...... Genus!

SoupDragon Thu 30-May-13 13:38:36

I am about to order the three sets to help the children with their story planning. They look fabulous even for just playing silly games!

SoupDragon Thu 30-May-13 13:40:04

There's an iPad/phone app too!

SoupDragon Thu 30-May-13 13:42:05

The app is £1.49 for the action plus standard set and then £1.49 in app purchase for the voyage one.

I do prefer the tactile nature of dice though so may end up ordering the physical sets too.

Thank you smile

bochead Thu 30-May-13 19:34:59

I like the physical dice too tbh if only cos it helps encourage that face to face interaction so many of our kids find hard.

Personally I think you'd lose the opportunity to maximise the potential giggles social skills benefits if you restrict use to the electronic app. It's been nice to see DS's friends sat around a table like wot we old uns used to, back in the day TALKING, instead of sitting around a console game this half term. (that last comment goes for his NT friends too btw!)

I also like the fact that the basic set is ideal for popping into a pocket for family visits etc.( I think we'll get enough mileage out of the orange box not to need the extra variation sets if I'm canny wink) We'll take ours when we go camping as a good "rainy day" activity".

So far we've worked our way up from constructing a sentence using just 2 dice at a time to short descriptive paragraphs. I think for just a months worth of use, every 2 - 3 days or so that, that is FANTASTIC progress for an articulate but inflexible thinker like my son, who used to freeze in fear at the mere idea of coming up with a short verbal story from his own imagination.

Try

Choosing a "theme" for your story - eg "In the forest", "In Tudor times", "lies versus truth", "the value of friendship" etc

Starting with a "standard" fairy tale sentence - eg "once upon a time"

Taking it in turns to concoct the next sentence for a story.

Telling a story totally in the past, present or future tenses

Gotta be honest I'm using it totally from a "silly games" perspective for the moment. I figure the best learning is done with enthusiasm and a chortle, so we won't apply the dice to formal literacy work for a few months or so. At the moment DS sees it as just a bit of fun. I suppose I'm trying to ensure we walk before we run with the concept really as I'm not a SALT.

SoupDragon Thu 30-May-13 20:04:54

Oh, I agree with you completely... I'm an interloper on the SNs board so I'm coming at it from a different angle I guess.

SoupDragon Thu 30-May-13 20:08:01

For £3 for the 3 sets, the app is great for having a portable version ready whenever though.

Rumours Thu 30-May-13 20:22:39

Thanks for this, they look great and I've just ordered some smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now