Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Help required please, RE statement request

(4 Posts)
armani Fri 24-May-13 16:52:44

I've drafted together a bit of background info regarding my dds educational provision that she has recieved so far, but I just want to double check I've included everything I possibly can.
Can anyone offer any advice regarding what is useful to provide the la in a request for SA? Thanks

Ilisten2theradio Fri 24-May-13 17:38:57

You could be really bald about it and use the model IPSEA letter.
In my case I used that as a guideline and with Parent partnership advice, added that DS is currently on SA+ and both I and the school felt that he needed more help htan could be provided at this level as there were still barriers to his accessing all of the curriculum - then a little bit of detail.

They wrote back with a big form for me to complete at that point to decide whether or not to assess.

armani Fri 24-May-13 19:07:21

Great thanks ilisten. smile
Do you think it would be ok for me to include my worries about dds independant skills e.g forgetting to put glasses on, losing cardigans, forgetting to take her book out of her book bag etc? As I don't actually have any written evidence from school confirming this.

Ilisten2theradio Sat 25-May-13 12:57:57

You don't need evidence from the school at this stage. You can work on getting it later if needs be.
You could write he needs help with organisational skills to ensure that he can access all of his lessons completely.
If they decide to assess they send a form to the school to complete.
You are asked for parent views. I think the form differs from county to county but the one I had asked all sorts of questins about Ds, from babyhood and any delays, to what was a problem now, to what he liked and disliked doing etc.

You must always remember that it is a statement of eductional needs and relate each difficulty back to how it causes difficulty in "accessing the national curriculm" in one way or another - even if it is blindingly obvious to you, spoon feed the LEA and make it palin and simple for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now