Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How do I get my son extra time in exams?

(6 Posts)
mrslaughan Fri 24-May-13 10:52:04

OK - he is only year 3 and school just does internal exams, which they say are not important, but actually they kind of are.....

Background is we paid for DS to do a Multidisciplinary assessment, with he was diagnosed with dyspraxia and SPD. At the meeting when we got the results were told that he would be entitled to extra time in exams and should do them seperately in a quiet room(not sure how realistic this is), and there was talk of a scribe at the moment....

When we talked to SENCO about this got all this crap about statutory requirements - couldn't tell me what they were, I have asked her to find out for me what they are several times - nothing.

They will have exams in the next half term and this whole extra time thing is pissing me off (well the fudging of the situation)....

I was wondering how to find out, and thought about you lovely ladies, who are incrediably knowledgeable......I feel certian one of you should be able to tell me.

I could ask the ed Psych, or the pediatrician who led the team for a letter, but I want to make sure I have the right one, and can say that I know it fulfills the statutory obligations.

MTIA

mrslaughan Fri 24-May-13 13:14:03

Bump

headlesslambrini Fri 24-May-13 13:28:52

Am not sure but i think they apply to the exam board and provide the evidence as to why he should be given extra time. if the exams are internal and not linked to an exam board then i would assume it would be at the descretion of the school.

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Fri 24-May-13 13:42:58

www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/assessment/keystage2/ks2tests/b00201106/additional-time

This is how it works for KS2. Internal exams, mocks etc do not have the same access arrangements ime. Eg when DS1 did KS2 SATs last year there were 5 readers in the actual maths exam but not for practice tests. Provision of a reader/scribe is at the discretion of the school. The school has to apply for extra time and the child has to meet certain criteria (see above) to qualify for extra time.

LuvMyBoyz Sat 25-May-13 05:55:44

I'm in MS KS3 and I would ensure he got the extra time for all assessments and tests. This gives a true reflection of his progress and allows him to be confident that his needs are being met. He would have to undertake a formal assessment at the end of Y9 to see if he is allowed this in public exams and they are making this harder and harder to get. Sorry if I've whizzed through his life! Best wishes.

streakybacon Sat 25-May-13 12:31:07

Have a look here at the JCQ website for access arrangements

Chapter 1 will tell you who is eligible for access arrangements, Chapter 2 tells you what arrangements are available. Familiarise yourself with this and approach the SENCo as the school/exam centre has to make the arrangements on behalf of the candidate.

I'm not sure how it works for primary school children but it will be along the same lines. You can go via two routes - assessment (EP report or similar) or medical (evidence from a consultant). More information in the link.

The SENCo might not know or she might be fobbing you off so it might be helpful to wave the right section at her and encourage her to make the arrangements.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now