Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

trouble at school

(4 Posts)
peanutbuttercup Thu 23-May-13 23:52:29

Hi I am mostly a lurker but read this forum often. I have posted before but quick recap DS 8 years old (nearly 9) not had a formal diagnosis but is most definitely in my opinion) on the spectrum with anxiety issues and possible OCD. We live in NZ.

DS has moved schools this year to a small rural school with only 27 pupils. He has two best friends which is fantastic but is having trouble with other children both older and younger due to outbursts inflexibility and silly/challenging behaviour (the usual sigh).

Yesterday he was told that two of the older children (aged 12ish) are going to beat him up for "all the things he has done". Not to drip feed from what I can tell this is putting paint on one of their coats, pulling down their pants and hitting one of their younger siblings (possibly among other things, not sure).

I am going to talk to the Principal today but also wanted advice. Do you think it would be beneficial someone having a discussion with the older pupils about DS's complex needs and the reasons he does some of the anti-social things he does or could that potentially make it worse?

Thanks

ThreeBeeOneGee Fri 24-May-13 22:49:27

I think that twelve year olds should be mature enough to have some understanding about how neurodevelopmental conditions can affect behaviour. In my experience of DS2 and his peers (and also NT DS1 and his friends) some explanation can help and usually leads to more understanding. Hope your meeting goes well.

LuvMyBoyz Sat 25-May-13 05:31:09

I work in mainstream SEN and we do this kind of work with a child's form as soon as we can and it usually helps to get the other children working with them better.

peanutbuttercup Sat 25-May-13 08:20:54

Thanks for your replies. Can I ask luvmyboyz how does it get explained?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now