Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Makaton signs for vest, shirt and trousers

(9 Posts)
theDudesmummy Thu 23-May-13 20:58:02

Anyone know them??

ThePskettiIncident Thu 23-May-13 21:01:29

I know clothes is using both hands smoothing down action over your chest. Not sure about individual items... Sorry!

ouryve Thu 23-May-13 22:12:40

You smooth over the area where the clothes go - so over your legs for trousers.

<goes to consult Makaton manuals>... Nope, nothing specific! I was advised when I did my course that something particular to you can be improvised by adapting the usual signs, thoguh you would then have to explain them to strangers. So, you could, for example, distinguish between the shirt and vest by adding a buttoning up action to the shirt.

theDudesmummy Fri 24-May-13 09:09:07

Thanks for that! Yes, we are adapting some of the signs by improvising, and for some, that I cannot find, I am thinking f just using BSL signs. I will use the smoothing action for the clothes, I think, although not sure how to distinguish between vest and shirt!

I do find it odd that in the Makaton manuals there are specific signs for, for example, "chapati" and "airman", but no shirt or trousers, (or jigsaw puzzle, which is the biggest thing in our lives at the moment!)

ouryve Fri 24-May-13 09:42:48

Yes, I think the lack of distinction between a lot of common foods is a bit limiting - it hardly empowers a child by giving them the ability to make a choice, does it?

I've improvised a sign for iPad/tablet/leapster etc by writing on my hand with my finger, instead of as if I'm holding a pen, though DS2, somehow has no difficulty understanding those in spoken speech and will willingly give us pecs cards for them - I've taken away the one for iPad until we've cracke dhis current phase of hitting me all the time and he found the quickstart card and handed me that, instead! He'll also happily use pecs for crisps (thank goodness because the sign is a faff) and can find it in him to shout CAKE!

theDudesmummy Fri 24-May-13 13:36:14

We use the letter i for iPad! My DS understands speech totally (when he chooses to!), but is non-verbal himself.

ouryve Fri 24-May-13 16:12:03

DS2's speech is very rudimentary and inconsistent. Sometimes he'll clearly say "more" when he wants his cup filling up and at other time, he simply can't get the word out. He has things he says occasionally like "put it" when he wants me to put something on the table for him and the other day, I caught him climbing over the sofa to get under the coffee table and I asked him what he was doing - he replied "I getting". He's said whole, original sentences, in the past eg "I like your chin" but generally, it's like there's a very high wall that he needs to lob his speech over, so it rarely makes it to the other side. Sometimes he's echolalic, with all the consonants turned to "b"

I'm glad he's finally picking up PECS, instead of just wanting to line the cards up, because he's too dyspraxic to reliably sign. I've found it very useful for teaching him concepts, though, such as mine and yours and communicating aches and pains.

MikeSign Tue 28-May-13 09:27:00

Vest: Fingerspell "V" then 2 "C" hands (palms back, pointing in/up) make short downward movement from shoulders (indicating straps)
Shirt: "V" hands (palms back, pointing in/up) make short downard movements from collar while fingers close to pinched hands.
Trousers: Flat hands (palms facing in, pointing down) make short movement from waist down one leg then the other.
(All from Signalong Basic Vocabulary Phase 1 and "What Shall I Wear Today?")

theDudesmummy Wed 29-May-13 07:25:19

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now