Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

LA agreed to change statement - no tribunal!

(10 Posts)
starfish71 Thu 23-May-13 13:13:51

After having a indi speech therapist report done, LA have this morning decided that they will amend statement to give DS two blocks of direct therapy per year.

I am shattered, feel sick that they have put us through this, but relieved that I don't have to go to tribunal.

Am going to ask the indi therapist to continue working with DS, does anyone else do this?

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 23-May-13 13:46:10

Have you seen the report now?

beautifulgirls Thu 23-May-13 13:53:57

I think that it is down the LA who comes and gives the therapy and that you may not have a choice, but if the LA are willing then you may be able to have your therapist paid directly for the sessions. There is nothing to stop you using the indi therapist in addition to the statemented provision, but be careful that they don't later want to withdraw any provision as they deem your DS already getting the help.

Get everything in writing still!

starfish71 Thu 23-May-13 13:56:13

Yes I have starlight. All DS 's scores were in the very low range severe delay range. The therapist recommended at least two blocks of direct therapy per year.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 23-May-13 13:58:07

Once SALT is written in the statement, if your LA is a pathfinder you can request direct payments.

You can do a FOI request about direct payment policies etc.

starfish71 Thu 23-May-13 14:01:02

Yes that what was I was thinking beautifulgirls, have the therapist work in addition to LA SALT.

I won't withdraw my appeal until I have the amended statement in my hand.

starfish71 Thu 23-May-13 14:06:40

Don't think mine is a pathfinder, but will double check and ask about direct payments.

CheeseToasty Fri 24-May-13 16:33:52

That great that you have got what you wanted. Very sensible not to withdraw appeal yet. I have been paying for additional salt. Our independant salt sees other children in the school so has good relationship with nhs salt and school. I wish we were in a path finder area.

starfish71 Fri 24-May-13 16:45:00

Thanks cheesetoasty, am eagerly waiting for the amended statement!

We definitely not pathfinder. I am hoping the NHS Salt will be ok with indi therapist going in as well. I was thinking maybe have our indi therapist go in every fortnight? Does that sound ok or should it be weekly, every three weeks?

SingySongy Fri 24-May-13 18:47:47

The NHS cannot legally refuse input on the basis that you have independent provision. Make sure they know you know that! If your independent therapist is good, she should be very happy to work in harmony with an NHS therapist, and should be able to suggest some good strategies for making it work really well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now