Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD)

(10 Posts)
brainexplosion Mon 20-May-13 21:01:35

TA at school pulled my aside today, asked me a few questions and suggested we think about SPD.

By chance I have an appointment with GP to discuss dd's behaviour, so will discuss then.

Can anyone give me a heads-up on this? Am not much clearer after googling it.

thank you.

PolterGoose Mon 20-May-13 22:40:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsbaffled Tue 21-May-13 13:08:07

I hope you get some good advice. The 'system' has been spectacularly unhelpful about DS1's sensory issues (sounds and touch). They acknowledge he has sensory issues, but no advice given , and school says there is noting they can do to accommodate them sad

I have it myself. I have super sensitive hearing and hate certain smells. I also love to feel certain textures and remember doing funny things as a child to explore textures.

feckawwf Tue 21-May-13 21:49:20

Mrs Baffled hmm this does not fill me with hope for my ds who us currently being assessed for SPD

PolterGoose Tue 21-May-13 22:06:34

mrsbaffled Tue 21-May-13 22:27:17

I think it is a area thing. We don't even get to see OTs here, but I know Polter has had a wonderful experience....I haven't let it lie, though. He is currently being assessed for AS/HFA and hopefully dx of that will bring more weight to his need for accommodation at school.

Aldo I have read a lot and taken steps myself, like making my own weighted sensory blanket.

brainexplosion Wed 22-May-13 00:38:30

Thanks. It makes me wonder where the line is between normal and not-normal. What sort of help do you get offered? DD (8yrs) is having fairly violent rages at the moment.

PolterGoose Wed 22-May-13 09:45:02

brainexplosion Wed 22-May-13 10:17:10

Polter - seems you are getting a lot of help which is good. Could I ask what symptoms your ds shows? Do you think anything in particular triggers outbursts?

I have meeting with school today and gp on friday.

PolterGoose Wed 22-May-13 11:08:22

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now