Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD son & reading

(2 Posts)
jackjacksmummy Sun 19-May-13 23:01:22

My DS is almost 7, has ASD, dyspraxia & hypermobility. He is struggling badly at school and school are starting statement process. I am v. Happy with everything school are doing for him although I am increasingly concerned about his reading and numeracy skills. He is still on red level of ORT and even forgetting stuff he knew - words like on, in, it he can't read from sight or memory, he won't sound them himself but will hear the word if I sound it for him.
Tonight I'm just feeling quite sorry for him, about to go into year 3 and still struggling with basic words hmm

PleasantSpice Mon 20-May-13 06:27:45

Headsprout is a fantastic online reading program. It's American and It costs about $99 I think, but it is very good. I've used it with a few children with ASD and its worked fantastically. Moondog knows lots about it, she's been involved in research using it. I also use Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, again American, but again very very good and is cheaper. I don't think we really have anything in the UK that compares to these two.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now