Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Statement refused again.

(20 Posts)
mixedemotions123 Tue 23-May-06 10:00:53

Somebody please tell me what you have to do in this f**** country to get help for your child when the LEA don't give a f**** shit. sorry about language but I am so gutted.

spursmum Tue 23-May-06 10:02:55

They refused again? Im no help as I have just been told that my ds will get his statement but for you.

mixedemotions123 Tue 23-May-06 10:08:13

I am so angry. What do we pay taxes for in this country. Everyone involved in the assessment for the statement felt that due to his learning difficulties he would get one this time, but apparently his needs should be able to be met without one. The school openly admitted that they are unable to provide sufficient support on both the previous request and this one and they have completley ignored all of it.

Socci Tue 23-May-06 10:16:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

macwoozy Tue 23-May-06 10:30:13

I'm really sorry to hear this, this whole statement procedure is just a joke. Unless I'm getting you mixed up didn't the LEA agree to assess? Do you know the reasons why they didn't agree to a statement after all?

mixedemotions123 Tue 23-May-06 11:30:36

Yes they did agree to assess. They have issued a note in lieu of statement. They said that having gone through the reports, that his needs should be able to met in ms without the need for a statement. They say that the Ed Psych plays a major role in their decision. Quite interesting as she hasn't seen my son since July 05. We will be appealing but it is just so bloody hard. We have been fighting for this for the last 3 years now.

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Tue 23-May-06 11:33:28

Have you had a private psych assessment? Some ed psychs are positively dangerous. ONe locally causes parents of children with hfa no end of trouble. Have you see the ed psychs report?

emmalou78 Tue 23-May-06 11:44:00

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Socci Tue 23-May-06 12:03:47

Socci Tue 23-May-06 12:07:53

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 23-May-06 12:28:53

mixedemotions123,

Would strongly advise you to contact IPSEA and also appeal this crass decision made by the LEA. A note in lieu is not worth the paper its written on - you need the Statement.

Which part of the UK are you in btw?.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 23-May-06 12:31:10

Not teaching anyone to suck eggs here but the following outlines what a note in lieu is:-

A Note in Lieu is an acknowledgement of a child's special educational needs and describes the provision which should be put in place to meet those needs (much as a statement of special educational needs does). However, the provision described in a Note in Lieu is equivalent to that available at School Action Plus.

Mixedemotions, this is not enough for your son and the LEA know it. The only way you're going to get the statement is to legally challenge them. Many people who go to appeal do win their case and IPSEA are very good. Call them also!!.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 23-May-06 12:33:42

When you also consider that the Ed Pysch is employed by the LEA as well, this person has undoubtedly come under pressure not to issue a statement.

mixedemotions123 Tue 23-May-06 13:47:28

thanks for your support all of you. We will be appealing against their decision. It makes me question our own judgement, is it me making a big fuss over nothing etc. I know it isn't, but you go around in circles. I have spoken to the Senco from Juniors where he will be going in sept, and she was lovely, saying just because he hasn't got a statement, doesn't mean we will not look after him, which made me cry. I just feel that he has enough to deal with with everyday life situations, with his crippling anxiety and ASD, without having to be struggling so hard to keep his head above water at school. They have already said that they are concerned about him being able to access the NC in year 3 as he finds it so hard in Yr 2.
ATM we live in Eastleigh Hants. I know the LEA are well known here for being made of iron, they have done nothing yet to make me feel differently.
Jim Jams, we did see the EP report, but it was really airey fairy as she hasn't spent any time with him for nearly a year. When my husband pointed that out to them on the phone today, the woman sounded surprised to hear that. Do they actually read the reports? it made it pretty clear in hers, and since last july she has only spoken to the Senco about him.
Socci, I am afraid I wasn;t very nice on the phone to LEa this morning. To say I was gobsmacked would be an understatement. She said to contact parent partnership, I told her that i have found them to be just as useless as the LEA in all honesty, then ended up so upset i had to hang up.
thanks again all of you

Davros Tue 23-May-06 15:18:57

Sorry to hear this Mixedem SODS!

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 23-May-06 16:10:25

Mixed

Any chance of you meeting with these people?. I did this when our DS was refused and it did help to both put faces to names and importantly to stress how important getting a Statement was for DS.

IPSEA are also worth calling as well as they have lots of experience in this area. Their line is often busy but you will get through eventually.

www.ipsea.org.uk

mixedemotions123 Tue 23-May-06 17:01:18

I have been trying to get through to Ipsea, but the lines are all busy. I will keep trying. We go on holiday on monday, but when we get back we have asked for a meeting in school. In the meantime we will appeal. I have contacted Sendist and they are sending out some info re appealing. If the appeal gets us nowhere, then we will have to make an appointment to see LEA, but they will not see us before we appeal. I don't know what else we can do really. We will also look into finding a private ED PSYCH incase it comes to it. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD ONE NOT TOO FAR AWAY FROM HAMPSHIRE?????
We will keep fighting, nobody else will do it for him, I just wish they would listen.
Thanks again for your responses.

dinosaure Wed 24-May-06 21:28:50

mixedemotions, when you get through to IPSEA, they may be able to recommend an ed psych.

Good luck.

JayzMummy Wed 24-May-06 22:56:28

Contact NAS....they have a list of EP's across the country who offer independant assessments.

mixedemotions123 Thu 25-May-06 13:11:38

Thanks again. I have spoken to IPSEA today, and they have referred us to their disputes dept, which is great. I have spoken to the Junior Senco where he will be going in Sept. She said that she thought the note in lieu was very direct in explaining my sons needs. She said that talking as a parent we should appeal, but talking as an educator the school will honour what is stated and make sure that he gets as much help as needed. Really cheered me up, she sounds very sincere, but we will still go ahead with the appeal.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: