Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What do I do now ! :( ADHD related

(10 Posts)
Hai1988 Thu 16-May-13 18:51:41

Right I have no idea where to start and have trouble wording things and spelling and grammar aint great so bare with me please will try to explain as clearly as I can.

DS is 7.8 and got what i thought was a clear diagnosis of ADHD back in January from a pediatriction (sp?) who we got referred to after i took DS to his GP.
My concerns about DS were a short attention span
being easily distracted
making careless mistakes,
being forgetful or losing things
being unable to stick at tasks
being unable to listen to or carry out instructions
being unable to concentrate
constantly changing activity
being unable to sit still,
constantly fidgeting
being unable to settle
excessive physical movement
excessive talking,
being unable to wait for a turn
acting without thinking
interrupting conversations
no sense of danger

He also does alot of things that mean he really struggles with friendships at school like go on and on about a subject and can take over a conversation
'act silly' in a group to get attention but not fit in
damage other children's toys etc, without meaning to
play too roughly in the playground and hurt other children
have poor motor skills (eg can't catch or throw a ball).

All of which the school has noticed aswell and because of the motor skills bit he is on the waiting list to see a occupational therapist.

Anyway my new concerns are that his concentration seems to be getting worse, its hard to explain but he just doesn't seem like he's all there sometimes,his teacher has mentioned this also so its not just me, his forgetfulness is just becoming ridiculous and so his is acting before thinking he is doing things that are just plain horrible to his peers for no apparant reason and im at the end of my tether sad

DS's deterioration has got me thinking tho although we have seen a pediatriction and he said yes DS is showing alot of signs of ADHD and offered medication which at the time i refused at the time because wanted to try and manage ds's behaviour without it, im not actually sure if that's a definitive diagnosis??

Does DS need to see someone else for more assessments now?
Have tried to contact the pediatrication for more advice and maybe trailing a medication now but he doesnt seem to want to get back to me sad

I am also concerned that DS may also have dyspraxia as there are definite symptoms there such as
Poor balance because he has difficulty riding a bicycle so much that he just cant do it.
Poor hand-eye co-ordination. Difficulty with team sports especially those which involve catching a ball and batting.
Lack of rhythm when dancing
Is very clumsy
flapping arms when running, cant run we at all
Doesn't use cutlery
Cant tie shoelaces
Difficulty in distinguishing sounds from background noise. Tendency to be over-sensitive to noise
Over-sensitive to smell and taste, temperature and pain
Lack of awareness of body position in space, Can result in bumping into and tripping over things and people, dropping and spilling things
There are proberly many more but cant think at the moment brain has gone into overdrive.

Anyway im so sorry this is so long, but just wondering if anyone has the time to read my story and has any advice on where i go and who do i speak to about my DS now. Thanks in advance smile

MareeeyaDoloures Thu 16-May-13 21:15:12

Get your GP to write and ask when your 'obviously adhd ds' can have meds, because 'at long last his mum has agreed' to a trial of the drugs.

Should do the trick

CheeseToasty Thu 16-May-13 21:31:59

Seeing the ot will be helpful I think. Sensory processing difficulties and dyspraxia can cause similar symptoms to ADHD but do require different management.

Hai1988 Fri 17-May-13 07:54:38

Yeah Just wondering what the best way of speeding up him being able to see the OT as schools waiting lists are redicluios

MadameSin Fri 17-May-13 11:37:15

Hai do it all thru your GP i.e. referral back to paed and new referral to OT ... print out the list above of all his traits (ADHD/Dyspraxia) and take with you to GP appointment. Will get done alot quicker than thru school cos sometimes they are a bit shite. Good luck! smile

Hai1988 Fri 17-May-13 13:40:59

Spoke to gp today he was no help just told me to get back in contact with the lead, but still cant get hold of him receptionist said he's not even in now still mid next week sad

MadameSin Fri 17-May-13 17:07:34

That's pants! When I rang my sons paed direct, I was told any re-referral would need to go via our GP ... ? Can your GP email him for you??

MareeeyaDoloures Fri 17-May-13 21:56:16

GP email would also sit with secretary till he comes back though.

MadameSin Fri 17-May-13 22:25:26

Yep, but at least the GP has requested a referral .. sounds like Paed is blanking Hai's calls ... he can't ignore an email from the doc .. hopefully sad

coff33pot Fri 17-May-13 22:57:47

Get the peads email address and the GP email address and copy both into your email requesting a further review to trial meds as agreed on blah blah blah. No answer the day the pead returns? catch bus and pay the pead a face to face waiting room visit armed with a print out of your email wink

time to put foot down and be a pita grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now