Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Would a child with HFA ever get one to one support in school?

(9 Posts)
Levantine Thu 16-May-13 17:33:41

Just curious, as ds1, undiagnosed, has completely disengaged in the classroom and won't do anything unless the class ta is with him. Might in the future he ever get one to one support for a couple of hours a day? had a meeting with dep head yesterday in which she said no. Trying to work out if I was being ridiculous in raising it as a possibility

Summerloading Thu 16-May-13 17:49:18

If you read my thread on 1-1 support, you'll see ds gets 1-1 support. He has AS and was getting 18 hours 1-1 on School Action Plus, and now gets 25 hours with a statement.

And there'll be plenty of others here who'll say their AS/HFA dc gets 1-1 smile

Is your ds on the waiting list for assessment?

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 16-May-13 17:53:46

Presumably this is a state school?.

Do you feel that he is being failed here by this school?. His additional needs there are clearly not being fully met are they?.

No you were not ridiculous to raise this issue but you are his best - and only - advocate here. No-one else is better placed than you to fight his corner for him, this is also because no-one else will do so (deputy head being just one example).

If it is a state school I would now write to the LEA in question and apply for a statement of special needs on your son's behalf. You do not need school's permission to apply for this nor do you need a diagnosis (GP should refer you to a developmental paediatrician with regards to this).

Is he known to the SENCO, what has this person said if anything?.

Has he as yet seen an Ed Pysch?. Bear in mind that these people cannot diagnose anything, they can only make recommendations re educational needs. Also these people are under pressure from their employers the LEA not to readily statement.

IPSEA's website is very good at the whole statementing process so I suggest you start there www.ipsea.org.uk. Also arm yourself with a copy of the SEN Code of Practice available online.

PolterGoose Thu 16-May-13 18:12:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Levantine Thu 16-May-13 20:13:14

There has been some disruption at school recently so that has made things worse for him, I'm not sure if I'm over reacting. His lovely class TA said she thought he cd do with some one to one when I asked her directly whether he needed it. I think usually he is able to join in more but at th moment he is just wandering around.

He said to me last night that he is useless.

Adoss in July. Verbal diagnosis of ADHD, paed pretty much diagnosed autism verbally too.

Theycallmestacy Fri 17-May-13 08:13:43

Ds has HFA and since Nov has 25 hrs 121, without a statement. Our borough gives 121 without a statement as a way of preventing applications for statements.

The agreement from panel states to be reconsidered Autumn 2013, not sure though due to the changes that came to effect in April if this is still the case.

bigbluebus Fri 17-May-13 08:42:38

DS has had 25 hrs a week 1:1 TA support since he started school. He was DX with HF ASD at age 7 and was given a Statement for the 25 hrs shortly afterwards (process was already in motion before DX as school already deemed the support necessary).
He is 16 now and has just started his 11 GCSE exams and is anticipated to get high grades (but possibly not as high as he is capable of given how much little revision he has done.)
Without a TA to keep him on track he would have produced very little work in class and would have engaged in low level disruption, probably resulting in him being removed from lessons on a regular basis (this has still happened on occasion, but not as often as it would have done without a TA). He is set to continue with his 1:1 support in 6th form, although we are hoping that the way it is delivered can change ie more support for organisation and independent study.
I don't know how old your DS is OP, but DS became very reliant on his TA in Primary school and would play up the minute she turned her attention to something else. It did little to develop his independence skills, but I think that was probably more down to the TA 'mothering' him and pandering to his negotiations/manipulation. I would say though that it was DSs tendency to attention seek by behaving badly and therefore disrupting the lesson that he got his statement. If your DS is passive then you may have a more difficult job to get the support he needs, especially if he is above average academically.

Levantine Fri 17-May-13 13:16:50

His additional needs are definitely not being fully met, no.

I am not even really clear about what he does get
According to him he has his own table and other children sometimes come and work with him
He has a home school book in which he gets different faces
I think they have tried wriggle pad type things o nhis chair and fidget things to play with. He is allowed to sit at the back and on a chair at carpet time. He isn't expected to join in with whole class activities, but I am not sure what he Is doing when he isn't joining in. He gets to do Lego every so often, he seems to have free access to a making corner, he will read obsessively

I think he is mildly disruptive. He gets some support from the TA and some from a statements child's LSA

He gets group social skills teaching for half an hour once a week

I feel like I am suffering some sort of cognitive dissonance - his class teacher and TA are really lovely and flexible but what's on offer isn't enough. The school has a fab reputation in supporting the individual child so I just wasn't prepared for the awful meeting.

The Senco said diagnosis would make no difference they would support him as an individual whatever, but he won't see ep until the autumn as it would be overload.

We have some other family tragedies to contend with and I just can't seem to see this clearly.

Levantine Fri 17-May-13 13:17:08

He's 6

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now