Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Role of 1-1 support assistant - AIBU to expect her to liaise with CT

(13 Posts)
Summerloading Thu 16-May-13 09:57:38

Ds has a 25 hour statement and is working outside the classroom. He has a 1-1 who refers me to either the HT or CT whenever I have a query.

AIBU to think it's her role to liaise with them?

For example, there's a class trip next week. I only found out through another parent. So when I asked the 1-1 about it, she said I should take it up with the CT or HT.

I mentioned not receiving any class letters. Again she said, take it up with the CT or HT.

I suggested ds might be able to attend one lesson in class and, you guessed it, she said to take it up with the CT or HT.

Surely it's the 1-1's role to be the bridge between the CT and ds/parent, so that he's included as much as possible?

crazeelaydee Thu 16-May-13 10:18:48

Hi Summer so this 1-1 is spending 5 hours a day with your Ds, and she is unable to answer any of your queries?? confused. Maybe have a chat with the HT/CT about the 1-1 not being very helpful with your queries and see if there's any way they can help to bridge the communication gap which she is clearly causing.

I would expect someone who is working so closely with my Ds to be able to comment on any query regarding my Ds, I would expect the 1-1 my first port of call TBH, not to pass me on to someone else. YNABU to expect 1-1 to laise with the staff or most importantly yourself.

crazeelaydee Thu 16-May-13 10:20:41

Crikey! YANBU ha ha....need more caffeine! grin

Summerloading Thu 16-May-13 10:38:41

brew grin Thanks, crazelaydee. I think I will have a word with the HT, unless someone else comes and tells me IABU!

Ogg Thu 16-May-13 11:13:51

NOT BU - she should be your 1st port of call every time and if she doesn't know she should find out for you !

PolterGoose Thu 16-May-13 15:56:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jussi Thu 16-May-13 16:13:21

Nothing really to add just that this post made me laugh as I am in the exactly same position!

jussi Thu 16-May-13 16:18:42

Well,I will add that now I just smile at the 1-1,go straight to the CT with mundane questions that 1-1 could/should be able to answer thereby wasting her and my time.
And everything that I asked today had not been put in place-things that were decided would be put in place 2 weeks ago at a meeting.so I
Am just going to keep 'chatting' to the CT regularly until I am satisfied they are putting into place what they promised.

Summerloading Thu 16-May-13 16:25:06

jussi grin

Ds is in a MS - maybe this is how it is in MS? I have tried googling to see if there is "official" guidance as to the role of a TA/LSA (I'm using the term interchangeably as I don't really know the difference so apologies if I offend any LSAs/TAs).

The way I see it, a 1-1 should be like a keyworker, pulling parts of a child's school life together.

I have asked for an appointment with the HT, so will discuss this and a number of other issues like illegal exclusions sad angry just because they can't be arsed to make arrangements.

ilikemysleep Thu 16-May-13 16:27:02

Yeah, I think the other way around actually, it's the CT's role to liaise with the TA. The TA doesn't have the power to decide whether he attends classes etc, she will be following the CT's requests (he undoubtedly should be in class some or most of the time, BTW. If he needs full time teaching in a 1:1 outside of class then mainstream is not the right setting). I think the class teacher has handed over responsibility for your DS to the TA. It is outrageous that the CT isn't even giving letters to your son. He doesn't sound very included at all, and that is the CT's job. If he is in her class, he is, overall, HER responsibility, not the TAs. The TA is there to support him to access the curriculum and class, not to become his de facto teacher.

Summerloading Thu 16-May-13 16:36:35

Thanks, ilikemysleep, you are absolutely right. I should be focusing on the CT, not the TA.

Ds has not been in the classroom for 3 months! He is definitely not being included. There is a class trip next week and I only found out through another parent. When I asked about it, I was told he probably wouldn't cope, he could go for half a day if I took him and looked after him shock.

I have just lodged an appeal to amend parts 2, 3 and 4 to an indy SS.

cansu Thu 16-May-13 16:44:51

I think the issue is not the TA but the school and the teacher. It sounds like the letter didn't get to ds because they had decided he wouldn't be going. They should be discussing this with you. It sounds like TA feel uncomfortable being a go between. It isn't really her job to get involved in the decisions about whether your ds is in or out of class. By directing you to CT she is being quite straight with you actually. It sounds like the school and CT are not communicating with you and you need to sort that out by making an appointment to discuss all the issues you have described here.

jussi Thu 16-May-13 16:50:43

Similarly, had to ask again for homework(not that I
like it but out of principle) as was not given it-teacher goes to get some -none left-apologises.
List of children's names on door for show and tell each week. In the 4-5 weeks he's been at his school,I haven't seen his name in the door so I asked about it today.Told he plants seeds at this time as is sensory.Have no problem with him planting seeds but I asked if anyone had actually asked him whether he wanted to show anything as at his last school,he used to enjoy it.Noone had even bothered asking him!!! (would do shocked smiley but don't know how to do it).
Good point about if working outside of classroom 1-1 whether MS is right for him as I have often wondered but academically he is(was) doing okay and is sociable at playtime,etc.its just when it's work time he has to go out.
The CT does have ultimate responsibility but when the 1-1 is the one working with your child they should be able to/be allowed to answer/chat. In the school where I taught the 1-1s always spoke to the parents and teachers would as well if that was what was wanted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now