Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Refused assessment for ADHD

(7 Posts)
towicymru Wed 15-May-13 12:35:17

DS2 started reception in September. He has had trouble settling in as he finds it difficult to sit still, stay in one place etc. He has always had more energy than any other child (think Zebedee on speed!) but that was DS2!! Main issue is that he just doesn't listen. Not even sure if he hears most of the time (no problem with hearing though). Worked with his (lovely & very experienced) teacher who says she has tried all the tricks in the book but is at a loss. She says he is a bright boy but it is hard to engage him as his mind is always wandering elsewhere/2 steps ahead etc. She also says that he always has to be touching/stroking something (not sure of the relevance but she mentions it every time we speak!) and that he is probably the most single minded child she has taught. At parents evening in March she stated that she would be happy for him to be observed in class and that the quickest way to achieve this is to have him referred by GP.

Took him to GP. DS2 was being typical DS2 and after I had said that we had come to see her as his teacher thought he needed to be observed in class she said she could see why and that he ought to be looked at for ADHD so referred us on to the children's centre.

It is now 6 weeks later and I chased the children's centre as I had not heard anything. They said they had not had the referral so I called GP surgery who faxed it over. Followed up this morning. Yes they now have the referral but they have a lot on and are behind and don't think DS2 needs to be seen so will be writing back to the GP to say that they won't see him.

I've booked an appointment to see our GP next week. I am struggling with DS behaviour as it is getting worse not better (was hoping it was just immaturity - still can be I know). I'm not desperate to medicate DS2 but would like some help/advice/support on how to manage him. At the moment it feels like the whole family revolves around him and where he is on any given time/day.

I'm going to keep a diary of behaviour etc for the next week to take to the GP (will now probably have an angel on my hands!) but is there anything else I can do to try and get them to take me seriously?

beautifulgirls Wed 15-May-13 13:59:50

Try writing directly to the ADHD team when you get the letter saying they will not see him and ask them to reconsider and explain why you are so concerned about him. Tell them if it is not ADHD then you still need help and advice about where to go next and someone needs to take responsibility for seeing him and pointing you in the right direction.

Ineedmorepatience Wed 15-May-13 14:34:11

I am guessing from your name that you are in wales?
Although nothing surprises me anymore I am slightly shock that the "children's centre" [is that different in wales, it is called child development centre or CDC here] turned him away without even seeing him.

I think the only thing you can do is go back to the GP and ask him/her to find out why they refused to see him.

I dont want to advise a different route until I know where you are though.

towicymru Wed 15-May-13 14:53:38

We are in Wales! We have a paediatric specialist at our surgery so I have got an appointment with her although its not until next Friday. I could kick myself for not chasing the referral earlier. It's the turning him away without seeing him that annoys me the most.

I just want help with how best to manage him. I know he is only young but I think if we can get him into good practices now it will make his life easier in the long run regardless of ADHD, immaturity etc.

Ineedmorepatience Wed 15-May-13 15:08:18

I agree, my Dd1 was never diagnosed and i had a mix bag of support with her. she showed/shows many signs of ADHD and some for Aspergers although there is a huge crossover with many of these type of conditions.

Try not to worry too much you have time on your side and it sounds like the teacher is on your side. In england, schools can take up some of the slack with assessments by getting in people like educational pshycologists, speech and language therapists and Occupational therapists but obviously I dont know if schools in Wales are able to do the same.

I think it would be worth A, asking the teacher if she or the SENCO could do any of the above and B, chasing up the GP. Be tenacious and dont give up.

You could also ask if there are any parenting classes which specialise in helping with behaviour managment available.

Folks on here often recommend the book 123 magic. I havent read it myself but it gets great reviews.

Good luck smile

MadameSin Wed 15-May-13 16:11:14

Towi what area are you in? Is the children's centre in a hospital? I would ask the GP to contact them as it seems to me they are fobbing you off.

Ineedmorepatience Wed 15-May-13 16:44:16

Had another thought towicymru you could ask the same question again on here but start it with "I am in wales" that way you will get the right people to help yousmile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: