Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

periods and autism, how does that work out then? help

(17 Posts)
onlyjoking9329 Sun 21-May-06 19:43:14

having buried my head in the sand for too long i really need to be planning for this, i have twin girls almost 12 who have autism & moderate learning difficulties, anyone dealing with this or know any resources/books that i may find useful?

jenk1 Sun 21-May-06 19:52:41

yes, i remember when i started my periods and my mum bought me a book called "have you started yet" it stated very plainly what was happening to me and gave loads of examples of what other girls were going through.
I dont know the author though.

HTH

threebob Sun 21-May-06 20:07:41

Can the school recommend anything?

onlyjoking9329 Sun 21-May-06 20:21:19

my girls can't read,which makes books a bit tricky really. i will ask at the special school they go to, they have 6 girls in their class so it will be something they will be covering

jenk1 Sun 21-May-06 20:24:50

This book had lots of pictures in IIRC

Davros Sun 21-May-06 20:27:20

Although I have a boy with ASD I have heard other mums talk about this. Some ideas are
- use social stories with pictures (don't have to be too graphic I suppose?)
- buy pads and practice using them BEFORE periods start
- colour the pads red so they can see sort-of what it will look like
- check the NAS, I know they have some books re puberty/adolesence
Will ask my friends, mums of girls, for more info

Blandmum Sun 21-May-06 20:30:07

I would have thought that it would be a good idea to avoid things with drawings, but go for things with real photographs. Agree that demo-ing a pad would be a very good idea.

onlyjoking9329 Sun 21-May-06 20:32:59

one of the problems i forsee is that one of my girls has an obssesion with bags and i can just see her collecting used towels in those bags and keeping them, she never throws anything away! also she doesn't do discrete, i can picture her going up and telling everyone that she has a period, she also has a thing about nappies and can name any brand of nappy at fifty paces, just wondering how thrilled she will be if she gets to have stick ons or wings

onlyjoking9329 Sun 21-May-06 20:35:52

social stories with lots of pictures may work, shame tots tv don't cover periods

anniebear Sun 21-May-06 21:32:22

Have visions of The Teletubbies running round waving Tampons!!

Seriously though, I cna imagine it muct be hard. My little girl is still very young, but it suddenly dawned on me the other day "what about when she starts her periods"

Christie Sun 21-May-06 21:41:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2shoes Sun 21-May-06 21:46:06

just been reading this with great interest as dd is 11 so won't be long off to check out web site now .thanks

popsycal Sun 21-May-06 21:55:33

oh wow - I have nothing to do with this thread and sorry for crashing it, but christie's site is fab! Download the lion sleeps tonight from the interactive bit

made my night

onlyjoking9329 Sun 21-May-06 22:03:36

fab website just the sort of thing i am looking for, thanks.

Christie Sun 21-May-06 22:18:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

onlyjoking9329 Sun 21-May-06 22:19:36

yes i have bookmarked it.

nikkie Mon 22-May-06 14:10:23

we have used that website at work its great

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: