Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.


(14 Posts)
crazeelaydee Tue 14-May-13 10:06:14

He has been Dx'd with AS by CAMHS, and has an appointment soon with a paediatrician due to possible epilepsy. As it stands he has never seen a SALT or OT and I would very much like this to be done so I can be sure if there are no more underpinning reasons for his other difficulties like failure to complete his written work etc. I have made notes of my concerns which seemed to of been overlooked by CAMHS during the Dx process, and I would really like him to be seen by SALT and OT is this something I can speak to the paediatrician about and ask for a referrals? We are in Staffordshire.

crazeelaydee Tue 14-May-13 10:07:26

OOPS I changed the title after I had written my post blush I mean my Ds has been Dx'd with AS by CAMHS.

armani Tue 14-May-13 10:09:50

When dd was ref to the pead, the OT was present during the first meeting. School and pead can ref to SALT but there are often long waiting lists.

crazeelaydee Tue 14-May-13 10:18:37

Thanks armani, my younger Dd is currently under SALT (and the therapist is really thorough) I think I will enquire if she does private work the next time I see her....just as a fall back should the paediatrician not refer or if there is a waiting list.

NotSnowWhite Tue 14-May-13 11:44:25

Sorry, I'm new to special needs and struggling. What is SALT and CAMH please.

crazeelaydee Tue 14-May-13 13:51:25

Hello NotSnowWhite

SALT=speech and language therapy
CAMHS=child and adolesent mental heath service

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 14-May-13 14:25:39

You can. Where ds was dx, then had a SALT only as part of the assessment. Once dx, all children with ASD were discharged.

The OT department didn't accept children with ASD because, in their written words 'if we did, we'd be overrun'.

crazeelaydee Tue 14-May-13 14:30:39

shock That's not very helpful of the OT department starlightMcKenzie, but then it seems to be the norm doesn't it.

So there may be a large chance that we will need to go private get saving those pennies.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 14-May-13 14:33:15

The paed who dx said she'd never heard of sensory problems for children with ASD hmm

Honestly. Don't EVER live in Herts.

BlackeyedSusan Tue 14-May-13 14:36:37

here, you can refer to an ot yourself, as the parent.

crazeelaydee Tue 14-May-13 14:41:11

Jeeesos! I think some just choose what they want to hear most of the time. On our first visit to CAMHS they discussed the triad with us and TOLD us there was a small section on the bottom of the 'triangle' which also covers sensory issues which not many know about!

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 14-May-13 14:42:31

I wrote you a limerick grin

crazeelaydee Tue 14-May-13 14:46:45

Oh BlackeyedSusan sorry cross posted. How would I go about referring as a parent? Just ring the OT department?.......ok I think I have just answered my own bloody question there! grin

crazeelaydee Tue 14-May-13 14:48:14

I'm on it like a car bonnet starlightMcKenzie...........flitting to limericks.......

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: