Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Please help, how to drop GCSE literature for an AS DS with a statement?

(5 Posts)
HisMum4now Tue 14-May-13 09:42:20

DS in year 10 with AS, ADHD and a statement in mainstream school is struggling with English and Literature. It became clear that if we don't drop Literature, all his good subjects will be compromised and the school simply advised to take a tutor. We just can't continue doing the homework and controlled assessments, we need this time to do English, maths and sciences. I know that I need to talk to the school to discuss options. But for myself I need to understand and decide what do I want and how to do it.

Any advice or experience as to how to drop Literature?
There is a contradictory range of opinions whether it is possible or not in my thread in secondary education : www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary/1752626-Help-how-to-change-GCSEs-at-the-end-of-Y10, which led me to conclude that I just need to figure out the technicalities of how to do it in spite of school resistance.

CouthyMow Tue 14-May-13 10:45:12

Well it MUST be possible - DD dropped MFL at the end of Y7 due to her LD's making it impossible.

She is in Y10 now, and is doing one GCSE less, and they use the time that would have been timetabled for French to do her LSA support time.

So it is possible, though very unusual - DD is the first DC that has dropped MFL in the 13 years that the current HT has been there...

CouthyMow Tue 14-May-13 10:46:34

I'd book an appointment with the SenCo to discuss this. If it is affecting his other subjects and he is likely to get a 'D' grade or less, then it's more likely that they will consider it.

HisMum4now Tue 14-May-13 10:57:39

Anyone with any experience?

I see a lot of comments about the struggle with literature homework. Anyone taken literature out of statemented DC curriculum?

MareeyaDolores Tue 14-May-13 16:22:59

Obviously it should be possible angry.

Under the 'pick your battles' heading though, I'd maybe suggest telling the school you are getting a tutor and entering him for iGCSE, so would like him to drop literature at school, because the syllabuses are incompatible.

Tell them 'as a family we can't cope with the additional 8 hours a week needed for supporting him with the homework'. Present (on a platter) 'reasonable accommodations' so absolutely and irrefutable reasonable that no-one could refuse wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now