Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

The wait is killing me!!

(8 Posts)
bananananacoconuts Mon 13-May-13 20:21:36

Posted here to you lovely lot a few times before regarding ds and poss as/adhd and had some great advice. Just want to say where we are so far and if there is anything that i do to speed up this process because i'm close to the edge!

Seen gp about ds, took a month long diary and explained all that was worrying me. (Main issue was anxiety for ds gp said it was completely normal for him to ask of he was ok 42 times in 3 hours!!)
He refused to help further and told me to contact school nurse. Done that and she filled in a CAF form. Had meeting number 2 and have now been put on a parent and nurturing course. With the next meeting scheduled for july!
Ds is rapidly getting worse. We still have anxiety and he has always had raging tantrums but the anger is getting much worse, as is the lying. It's getting to the point where i am treading on eggshells in my own home and feel intimidated by a 6 year old!
Was wondering if it would hurt to see a new gp? Was thinking of changing practises to our village surgery and the doc there is well known locally for his support of mental health.
If i go and see this go will it bugger up the 2 steps i've taken with this CAF form or could we move forward faster because as i said i am close to the edge and back to hating myself for not wanting to be near my son
Thanks in advance

MareeyaDolores Mon 13-May-13 20:30:25

Here, CAF and child& adolescent mental health would run in parallel. So moving practice to someone willing to refer would just speed matters up.

bananananacoconuts Mon 13-May-13 20:32:32

Thank you mareeya, that's what i wanted to hear!

MareeyaDolores Mon 13-May-13 20:36:39

That said, it's possible they would want to wait for the records to come through first, before referring. Could you give the old GP one more try at sending the CAMHS referral off (now that you've followed all his well-meaning advice wink).

It's just possible shock sad that you're in one of the areas that don't actually allow doctors to make proper mental health referrals any more, and have an unqualified support worker chucking checking out all doctors' letters.

bananananacoconuts Mon 13-May-13 21:03:02

Gp has said that he does not have the power refer but we are not on that list you linked! We are lincs.
Have just written a long reply about wanting to scratch docs eyes out as he basically brushed me off and told me to get on with it. He also reported to school nurse that ds had mild eczema on his hands which banana states is from over washing. (How about gp gave him steroid cream because he'd stripped the skin off his hands!)
I don't necessarily want a fast track diagnosis (although it would be nice!) but a referral to camhs or just something to help my little fella instead of us floundering would be useful. Instead i am treated as a sh*t parent and sent on a course where i'm learning about praise and star charts and i just want to scream WE ALREADY DO THAT AND IT' S NOT WORKING!!
i'm pretty sure my son is developing ODD from the constant telling off and this is where the anger is coming from.

I'm ranting now, i'll stop.

MareeyaDolores Mon 13-May-13 21:32:52

Google camhs and your area, and find out. i think lincs has more than one depending which bit. You can always call them if you're not sure.

MareeyaDolores Mon 13-May-13 21:33:24

the courses are of limited value,
unless there are lots of other SN parents there who have useful tips to pass on

bananananacoconuts Mon 13-May-13 21:41:40

Have googled. They say in serious circumstances a child can be referred by a social worker,gp or ed psych. Although, i think ds is in serious need, i know his problems are minor compared to some so we may not qualify. Think i'll definitely change practises though and ask new gp for advice.

The only people on my course are there because they have been told to go by their health visitor. They do not participate at all and 2 weeks in laugh behind my back as i'm taking it seriously in trying to do the best for my ds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now