Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Social Services involvement

(4 Posts)
daisychain2011 Mon 13-May-13 15:00:28

I'm a single mum of a boy who is diagnosed with autism, dyspraxia, ligamentous laxity and global development delay. My son is in mainstream school (primary) - he has a statement and seems to be happy there. I'm completely on my own and have no support from anyone as I have no family around and no friends that I can really speak to.

Last week I felt really down and sent a text to a "friend" at school who told the head that I was suicidal. I wasn't and never said that I was in the text but now the head has made a referral to social services because she said she was worried about me.

I've had an initial assessment by a social worker today and she insisted on seeing my son's bedroom, and asked if I thought that my son having no brothers or sisters was a good idea for him (?) She also asked if I thought that our family just being the two of us is too intense. She was here for almost 2 hours and is going to come back next week to meet my son. She said she'd spoken to school and they'd said that my son is generally well settled and a lovely child.

I've just got this horrible feeling that they're going to try and take my son away from me now, with the questions that were being asked. Is this something that's likely to happen as I'm feeling really worried now?

fubbsy Mon 13-May-13 15:11:30

OK that social worker sounds crap, but social services are really, really unlikely to take your son away from you. They should be offering you and your son some support if you are struggling.

In theory, all children with disabilities are classified as 'children in need' and should be offered appropiate support by ss. What happens in reality varies wildly. Most local authorities are suffering from funding cuts and unable to offer much.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 13-May-13 15:46:06

They won't take your child away.

However, ime, they will use this power as a thinly veiled threat lest you ask for anything that costs them money.

PolterGoose Mon 13-May-13 15:51:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now