Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SMART targets for DC's on the SEN register

(9 Posts)
CouthyMow Mon 13-May-13 09:07:16

Can someone very quickly define SMART targets for me please? What does SMART stand for? I have an appointment with DD's SenCo at 9.30am that had completely slipped my mind!!

CouthyMow Mon 13-May-13 09:10:16

I know it's something to do with defining targets, but not exactly what, and I want to get the school to quantify what is going on with DD, as she is in Y10, and apparently Essex no longer does IEP's for DC's on the SEN register in Secondary - or at least Y10/11.

So no real feedback about what support DD is getting, no idea about what her current targets are, no way of knowing how to help support her through her GCSE's - which she is failing miserably.

CouthyMow Mon 13-May-13 09:16:33

Anyone?

ScramblyEgg Mon 13-May-13 09:17:56

Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant (or Realistic), Time-specific.

Good luck with the SENCO.

dev9aug Mon 13-May-13 09:18:16

Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Timely

dev9aug Mon 13-May-13 09:18:50

link with explanation www.jiscinfonet.ac.uk/tools/smart-targets/

S = specific - not woolly
M = measurable - not just subjective.
A = achievable - can be achieved, not impossible!
R = relevant - something he/she actually needs to work on
T = time based - improvement can be measured in a short period of time, ie 1 term.

That the sort of thing?

Ha! Cross posted. Attainable/realistic mean the same thing, I prefer attainable (or achievable) and relevant.

CouthyMow Mon 13-May-13 10:44:17

Thank you all. Meeting went well-ish. Got them to agree to send me a copy of her ITS sheets (equivalent of IEP apparently, not usually sent home to parents for some reason).

They have told me that DD's targets are to gain independence in her organisational skills, by the end of Y11. They suggested me supporting this by creating a list of equipment needed for each day.

So that will be fun to make myself. hmm

They have said that DD is getting 12.5 hrs a week help divided between floating LSA's in core lessons, work in small groups, and 1 hr 1-2-1 a week.

They are going to increase her 1-2-1 time now that the Y11's have left to the maximum available on SA+, 15 hours total support, so her 1-2-1 will increase by 2.5 hrs a week, giving her a total 1-2-1 time of 3.5 hrs a week.

They are going to put the extra 1-2-1 time into her Catering lessons, as that is what she wants to do for a job.

She is getting a scribe, a reader, and 25% extra time in her exams and CA's. The SenCo isn't sure if they are allowed to give DD the extra time in her Catering CA's. They are going to look into that for me.

Though the SEN transitions service usually only helps DC's with statements, apparently the school have a 'good relationship' with them, and will ask them to support DD through transition to college.

They have given me some information on who to start talking to at the college, as her LSA support should transfer with her.

They have told me that the reason she has been given these access arrangements is because she has 'weak literacy and numeracy, and a very slow processing speed'. When I asked if they knew why DD has these problems, they responded that that was for the medical team to make any diagnoses.

So I will be asking pertinent questions when DD has her full Pead check soon.

Also will be sent teacher's emails so that I can email them when issues crop up - isn't much help that DD can't remember her teacher's names...!

All in all, meeting went OK, and I was able to get across that I just wanted to know how best to help and support DD at home with her school work.

School are going to be more proactive about ensuring that the teachers or LSA's write DD's homework in her planner clearly so that I can help her with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now