Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Moving LEAs with a statement

(4 Posts)
LornieLoola Sun 12-May-13 09:41:45

My son is 3 and a half and has a statement, which includes 15 hours 1 to 1 provision at pre school, amongst other things to help him.

My marriage is breaking down, I am assessing my options of where I can live and what I can do. Does anyone know if I were to move to a different LEA (a different county 80 miles away) does his statement come with him, or will he have to be reassessed by this LEA?

I've had a quick google and couldn't see much but my head is all over the place trying to sort things out so I may have missed something glaringly obvious.

bjkmummy Sun 12-May-13 10:55:39

the new LA could reassess him and they havethe option to do this. my DH was in the armed forces and we moved quite a lot as did a lot of my friends. none of us have had a reassessment so likely that the newLA would accept the new statement but they do have the option of reassessment but most just never do mainly i guess due to the cost.

the reality is the statement will move with him and the new LA will adopt it.

I think it depends on the LA. They will honour a different LA's statement but may decide to reassess. The reassessment may mean that support increases or decreases, but in the meantime they should continue to provide the 15 hours. (Which is what actually costs them money.)

LornieLoola Sun 12-May-13 16:14:57

It's a funny one, as he has come on so much since the statement was given, but that's because of the additional support!

Thanks for your answers and help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now