Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

'Music releases autistic children from their chains'

(30 Posts)
dev9aug Sat 11-May-13 20:37:39

Funny how there is just one line about the Lovaas method the musician used with his own son.

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/10046513/Music-releases-autistic-children-from-their-chains.html

ouryve Sat 11-May-13 20:47:49

It's not as spectacular and headline grabbing as dancing and music.

dev9aug Sat 11-May-13 20:53:32

Agree, it's a terrible article, I thought it was going to be about music therapy or something like that.

MareeyaDolores Sat 11-May-13 21:22:00

<sticks head up>
blush I think music is that important blush

babiki Sat 11-May-13 21:27:28

Saw it today..must have got info from NAS..

dev9aug Sat 11-May-13 21:42:48

oh, I don't disagree that music is not important, It was the only way we could get to ds1 for a long time.

moondog Sat 11-May-13 22:00:59

Why do you think it is terrible Dev?
I think music is fantastically important and the combo of music and behavioural strategies can be dynamite.

Unlike many, this guy has lived the reality too.
I am proud to count music therapists and musicians amongst my most valued colleague.
I've also been lucky enough to have seen and played a minor role in stuff done by Oily Cart.
If you haven't seen their work, beg, steal,borrow or hitch a ride to do so.
Mindblowing and life enhancing.

dev9aug Sat 11-May-13 22:09:57

sorry, I am not explaining very well. I meant the article is terrible, not the music therapy. (They could have expanded on PECS, but instead it is cards with pictures, could have explained a bit more about ABA etc) just annoyed at the sloppy journalism.

moondog Sat 11-May-13 22:19:50

Oh God, but one quickly realises, when you know something about a subject, and a journalist writes about it, that they don't grasp the full picture.

Also any piece on Special Needs is legally obliged to include following clichés:

-grown men weeping
-children swept into magical inner world
-copious reference to 'most rewarding thing I have ever done'

blah,blah,blah.

You've got to bat all that crap away.

moondog Sat 11-May-13 22:22:58

Oh and another really incredible thing about Oily Cart is they employ autistic actors too.

dev9aug Sat 11-May-13 22:24:17

DS1 responds brilliantly to music, so I would love to find a decent music therapist for ds1 who could combine music and behavioural strategies.

We tried music therapy last year for a few sessions but the therapist had a different idea than we did about the therapy, she was happy to let him stim for the duration of the session and when I asked her what was the purpose behind it. Her response was that as he has a very full schedule with ABA etc where he has to conform to what adults want him to be, music therapy would be his downtime when he could be truly himself. Needless to say we didn't go there again.

dev9aug Sat 11-May-13 22:28:46

grin, yes so true.

Thanks for the link to the theatre company, I have pencilled the date in my calendar for their Brighton show.

moondog Sat 11-May-13 22:40:06

Yes, that is an issue but having a BA/music therapist in one would be fantastic. I am working hard on one or two of them and once they get it they are really up for it.
I remember you talking about your bad experience with the MT.
Such a shame.

Go to Oily Cart's performance with the family and then promise to come back on here and tell us about it. They'll take your breath away.

dev9aug Sat 11-May-13 23:21:14

I will do moondog I have just seen done of their stuff on your YouTube and really looking forward to it.smile

ouryve Sat 11-May-13 23:24:15

Salt actually suggested music therapy for ds2 but that was never going to happen. I taught him a lot of routines by singing, though. Still use the old cbeebies teeth brushing song when he isn't cooperating.

Ds1 has an encyclopaedic knowledge of pop trivia. He can recognise an awful lot of pop songs from their intros!

dev9aug Sat 11-May-13 23:31:51

Hehe, ds1 still has no functional language but amazing rote memory, so I am often greeted first thing by some tune he heard some time ago. Mind you, it's only me who can actually decifer what he is saying/singing..grin

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 12-May-13 09:10:14

Ds is learning the piano. It's an acceptable and importantly, intellectual and developmental way of flapping, which has vastly reduced.

moondog Sun 12-May-13 09:15:20

Reinforcement of an alternative behaviour

ouryve Sun 12-May-13 18:44:54

We're often treated to Incy Wincy Spider, in the mornings. Or, rather Ibby Wibby Biber....

DS1 Disapproves, of course.

And that's just tough luck. DS2 has excellent pitch and some definite favourite rock and pop songs. He always sings along to Running up the Hill and is otherwise a bit of a metalhead and will join in with some air drumming. He has some Animal pyjamas, and they're so him!

When we grow up and buy ourselves a house that isn't terraced or attached to any poor unsuspecting neighbours (according to the girl next door, you do grow accustomed to the constant noise from the boys) we might buy him a small drum kit!

eatyourveg Sun 12-May-13 19:03:07

ds2 has MT in part 3 of his statement - had to fight for it but it was worth it. He's had it all the way through school. Music was definitely the way in for him. I think educationalists underestimate just how powerful the use of music actually is.

dev9aug Sun 12-May-13 20:25:01

Ouryve that is so much like ds1.

eatyourveg how did you manage to get that in the statement and who provides it?

eatyourveg Mon 13-May-13 08:19:31

I submitted reports from anybody and everybody when we first drew up the statement age 3. He gets it from the County Music school who invoice the LEA

Part 2 says Music is a highly motivating medium for XXX and is proving to be a successful channel for learning and communication

Part 3 responds to that with The music therapist will work with XXX on a weekly basis aiding his development in communication skills, his ability to interact with others and his emotional development in terms of using music as a means of expression.

dev9aug Mon 13-May-13 08:42:12

Thanks eatyourveg

zzzzz Mon 13-May-13 09:52:28

I found the article a bit sickening (sorry, I hate all that brave parents/shackled by disability/weeping with exhaustion...not me AT ALL).

I do however think music therapy (not joyful stimming, which is nice but actually says more about what the author thought the children should be like not the benefits) done well by an intelligent therapist is brilliant.

Interestingly the therapist I really rated who saw ds 3 times for 30 mins 4 years ago, he STILL remembers and asks for. I don't think it's a "happy flappy" exercise though. I think, like anything, SO much is dependent on the intelligence and empathy of the practitioner.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 13-May-13 12:30:39

Oh I agree. Music is brilliant for turntaking and intraverbals (i'e singing a song and leaving out the last word for the child to say). It's just WAY to tempting even for the most unengaged children, and the patterning, structure and predictability make it much more accessible.

DS piano lessons aren't music therapy. They are just a way of giving him a skill in something he has a talent for and giving him more acceptable obsessions.

I find it interesting that a child who examines blades of grass in fine detail is 'autistic', yet a child who kicks a ball against a wall for half hour is sports mad, and someone who practices the violin for an hour is a musical genius.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now