Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS has epilepsy and has started to hear wrong words.

(10 Posts)
Fluffy1234 Sat 11-May-13 19:07:39

My DS is 12 and has epilepsy. He has started to mention he hears words wrongly. I will take him to our G.P this week but wondered if anyone had any experience of this?

Flappingandflying Sat 11-May-13 22:33:45

Sorry, no experience but sending you supportive vibes.

CouthyMow Sun 12-May-13 01:23:11

Is he hearing the words 'wrongly', or is it that he can't get them to 'make sense'.

A sign of an imminent seizure for me is that sentences that people say to me don't make sense to me.

One example is my DS1 asked me the other day (around 4/5 hours pre-seizure, not that I knew that at the time) "I'm waiting for Mr Magic Man". Or that's what I thought I had heard him say. Turns out he had said "I'm waiting for you to get me one".

Now, my ears were just 6 inches from his mouth, he wasn't muttering, and I'm not that deaf...

My brain just can't process language properly when I'm going to have a seizure. I can't speak properly either - I will have word placement issues - "pass me the telly changey thingy" instead of "pass me the remote", and also whole sentences come out as gobbledygook - "iblurgurple" instead of "I'm tired".

Would be worth him keeping a seizure diary and noting down when he notices this issue...

My guess is it's some sort of pre-warning.

(Just a guess, mind you, not clinically trained!!)

CouthyMow Sun 12-May-13 01:25:38

And when I say the gobbledygook sentences, it is really odd.

I'm thinking "I'm tired". I'm saying "iblurgurple". As I am saying "iblurgurple", my brain is thinking "That didn't sound right!!"

confused

zzzzz Sun 12-May-13 07:49:14

This is REALLY interesting.

Does anyone have any more info?

Dd is too young to share too much, but her hearing seems to "change" day today and I hadn't considered her epilepsy.

Fluffy1234 Sun 12-May-13 10:35:08

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. It's that he hears the words wrongly. I even thought perhaps he's havIng partial seizures without me realizing.

CouthyMow Sun 12-May-13 11:26:27

My brain also processes speech far slower than usual if I'm pre-ictal, even if I do understand it. It's like my brain is full of cotton wool, and the words have to get through it!!

zzzzz Sun 12-May-13 12:14:13

I think it IS a partial seizure. I hadn't really thought about it. Dd's medication slows processing time anyway but now I'm wondering if there's more to it.

CouthyMow Sun 12-May-13 16:11:58

There probably is, zzzz.

zzzzz Sun 12-May-13 16:14:22

She hasn't had a seizure for 18 months, so we are getting a bit over excited (because we could try without meds for a bit if she stays ok for another 6 months)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now