Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Stop arguing about gifted and talented or GF, or breasts or weaning or baby pasta and.......

(12 Posts)
Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Sat 20-May-06 21:57:23

follow the link in this thread

and find out what life can be like

This may explain why I drink so much wine.

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Sat 20-May-06 21:58:14

Actually I shouldn't have put this in SN should I as we all know what life is like. I will repeat in Other Subjects (and really piss people off).

MerlinsBeard Sat 20-May-06 22:03:02

jimjams, my pc won';t play that link but i know a little of what ur day is like. I used to "work with" an autistic boy, when he was diagnosed there wasn't much treatment available over here(or they couldn't fnd one) so they had to do the son-rise program with him. He is now about to start main stream high school

Sometimes we all need a little nudge to think what others go thru day in day out. xx

2shoes Sat 20-May-06 22:04:47

I do so get what you are saying. I read the G&t threads and want to shake people and say come live my life and no offence but it is easier than yours. when you have a child that can't walk or talk some of these thing just seem so small.( but as I also have a nt ds I know they are not) hope that makes sense

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Sat 20-May-06 22:09:46

Oh it wasn't a dig at g and t etc (to be honest its so far off the radar it just doesn't feature), but it is an extremely good film. It just shows a life that I recognise ( a lot of prorgammes I've seen have been about much higher functioining children than ds1, these children are generally younger so could bloosom but look more like ds1). I talk so much about him, just thought it would be good for people to see him.

Did you try clicking on "to be informed" at the end of the intro in Davros's link.

Mercy Sat 20-May-06 22:26:21

jimjams et al. I don't contibute to the SN board as I have no direct experience but I do have a look from time to time. About 20 years age I worked on the admin side of an LEA special needs office. Autism wasn't as widely recognised then but I do remember my colleague regularly running off to the loo in floods of tears when she received a letter from a parent of a child with Autism. (I used to deal with the admin of children who had 'EBD' possibly not called that now but some case histories I read shocked me to the core and I still remmeber them vividly). As a 6rth former I did voluntary work at an MLD school adn again I still think of those children in 'my class'!

I don't know waht I'm trying to say here (rambling again). Sorry I feel daft now

JanH Sat 20-May-06 22:28:38

I just followed it, jimjams . Bits of it made me cry. You deserve your wine!

Gillian76 Sat 20-May-06 22:34:06

The sound isn't working for me

bramblina Sat 20-May-06 22:34:13

Very humbling. I admire anyone who lives a life like this, it must be so difficult.

bramblina Sat 20-May-06 22:35:09

But we're still allowed to argue about breasts though, they are important...no?

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Sat 20-May-06 23:27:07

well yes you can argue about breasts if you want to

cat64 Sat 20-May-06 23:59:40

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: