Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Where can I buy common sense?!

(9 Posts)
ilikemysleep Fri 10-May-13 16:31:38

Just dropped my ds1 (aspie) off half way home (past the major road) so he could begin practising for walking home from school when he is in secondary school come September. Next week he is doing level 6 SATS papers for maths and grammar.

He started off running and betting he would beat us home (the traffic was quite heavy). However 200 yards down the road he had slowed right down and was walking really slowly. When I drew parallel in the car I could see why. There was a really old guy walking with two sticks ahead of him, crawling along at snails' pace. My highly intelligent 11 year old couldn't work out that he could simply walk around the old man (there was space on the pavement). He continued to walk behind the old man until he came to our street, where the old man carried on straight ahead. Then he started running again.

Honestly, how can a kid know so much and yet so little? My 2 year old would have walked around the old man, ffs!

ilikemysleep Fri 10-May-13 16:47:02

The stealth boast blush was just to illustrate the gap between his apparent cleverness and complete cluelessness....

PolterGoose Fri 10-May-13 16:57:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

coff33pot Fri 10-May-13 17:21:59

One a bad day he would have been bowled over as DS is "people and object blind" when he is on a mission to get somewhere as his mind is elsewhere.

On a good day the poor man would be wishing he had wheels on his sticks as he would have walked slowly side by side with him talking endlessly about film rankings, game rankings and car badges! grin

I certainly boasted here about my quirky DS3 who managed to pass the 11+ despite having to go to the toilet during the second paper as he 'didn't need to go during the break!' Clever, but no common sense. grin

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 10-May-13 17:57:00

Yes. Ds would have done similar to your whilst shouting obscenities at the man to hurry up!!!

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 10-May-13 17:58:37

You know what though. The more I hear about all of your kids the more in love with them I fall. I feel blessed to know about them.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 10-May-13 18:19:14

Dd3 would have stayed behind too, huffing and puffing very loudly and probably moaning about how slowly some people walk.

She is exceptionally embarrassing at the momentgrin

Sorry to say Dd1 who is really clever still has zero common sense and she is 24 nowhmm

moosemama Fri 10-May-13 19:49:18

Ds1 would have walked behind him as well, but only about 2cm behind the poor man.

He does it on the way to school every day, rushes until he comes across someone slower than him, then walks with his nose almost touching their back. I have to reposition him every few yards. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now