Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Disneyland Paris during bank holiday weekend...

(18 Posts)
dev9aug Thu 09-May-13 19:50:07

Is it doable with children during bank holiday weekend or am I being daft for even thinking about it?
Ds1 is 3y9m and ds2 18 months.

zzzzz Thu 09-May-13 20:25:45

I think everything is doable.

That said my gut feeling is "ahhhhhhhhhhh".

If you have the cash a beach holiday is stunning with that age group.

dev9aug Thu 09-May-13 21:24:37

Where would you go zzzzz?, which is not too crowded etc.

zzzzz Thu 09-May-13 21:28:13

Depends on your budget.

Keep in mind that under 2 plane tickets are much much cheaper as you don't get a seat. So this may be a good time to push the boat out a bit as next year it will cost more.

zzzzz Thu 09-May-13 21:42:27

Remember when you go east, you pay per room not per person on the whole. This is a huge boon to families as frankly you don't want small crazies in a room by themselves.

Big hotels also have spas/hairdressers which can be a real treat to the exhausted and a buffet breakfast and lunch by the pool, and sand and waves, and room service for late night hot milk for babies, and play grounds...........heaven.

dev9aug Thu 09-May-13 22:00:54

Have you been anywhere you can recommend?

I have no idea about the budget for these holidays because I have never planned one before. Disney was going to cost us about £1000 for a self catering place + travel + food so probably around £1.5/2K, but can be reasonably flexible depending on the holiday.

zzzzz Thu 09-May-13 22:21:06

Well the problem really is that it is getting late in the year which means temperatures are rising, so it depends on your tolerance for heat.

Dubai is easy (7hrs overnight and very welcoming), but book direct, but it's a autumn to spring destination unless you can tolerate the 40's. I love heat so that doesn't bother me.

I think this time of year you could probably get something lovely on the med, but I don't know how accepting they are.

Big international hotels tend to be very helpful, smaller ones not so easy. Room service really helps.

We used to travel lots when the children were tiny, but with 5 all needing their own seats now, I'm guessing this not on the cards! grin

Holidays are the biggest boost you can ever give them though. I know I've said it before but they really are extremely good value compared to therapy!

dev9aug Thu 09-May-13 22:32:00

Thanks zzzzz. probably not dubai, I don't think we can do heat anymore ( and I come from a place where 48 in summer was normal) so will check out somewhere in the med.

dev9aug Thu 09-May-13 22:32:51

yes, travel costs does seem to add up.. I am not sure I would ever want to leave the house if I had 5...grin

zzzzz Thu 09-May-13 22:49:47

I grew up in the heat too. In our house AC was only ever on if my Dad was home! shock

Small children thrive on it though. The whole exhausted afternoon sleep through the heat suits them.

The main thing is not to think you have to do self catering. Where else can you try so many things without stress but at a huge buffet? and most places you can eat outside which makes it much easier.

Also when you've been in the UK a while you forget how odd we are about children. There are places where children are welcomed everywhere at all times, and being less verbal is far less of an issue if you can't talk the language anyway.

Ds loves the sea. He stands watching the waves and they seem to calm him in a way nothing else does.

Try it.

dev9aug Thu 09-May-13 23:09:25

Also when you've been in the UK a while you forget how odd we are about children.

Totally agree with that. We went to India last month to see family and the only difference between ds1 and the rest of the kids were that he is non-verbal. Everybody was pampered and their demands met with little resistance, no strict food menu for kids, sleep when you are tired, not at a time dictated by parents, play video games , watch tv whatever, it was brilliant. Its only then we realised how much pressure we put on our kids just to make our lives easier.

dev9aug Thu 09-May-13 23:10:31

The reason I chose disneyland was because it will be busy. I am a bit worried I won't have many things to do with ds1 if we went on a quiet relaxing holiday.

zzzzz Thu 09-May-13 23:44:06

What does he like doing?

This is our typical day

Get up get everyone dressed
Walk through hotel garden to restaurant
Eat huge and buffet breakfast outside so kids can stop and play and come back for more.
Walk back to room via some sight (pond, playground, butter sculpture, there is always something)
Get in to swim suits and pack a beach bag
Teach kids to swim and watch them splash
Lunch by pool
Retire to room and snooze for a couple of hours and cool off (TV for kids if needed)
Back out to the beach for sand waves and sand sculptures you can sit in or out on a expedition
Home for a shower and change for evening meal
Weird food (ie different restaurant)
Back to room for hot milk and bedtime.
Dh and I sip drinks on balcony

Repeat for at least a week.

India with family sounds like heaven. That's exactly what I mean. Stress free. It's very different when you are with people who just don't have an issue with small children sleeping on a sun lounger, or in a pushchair, or with small children chatting after 9.30 a night or wriggling. In every other country I've been too waiters routinely do "tricks" to entertain instead of looking shocked.

Handywoman Thu 09-May-13 23:51:47

Not long back from Disneyland. It is amazing but IMHO your kids are too young to appreciate it (I mean that in the nicest, nicest possible way). I also vote to stick 'em on the beach, they will love it, you can sit down and chill a bit and save the sights/sounds/thrills for when they are older. My two are 8 and 10 and they absolutely loved it.

marchduck Fri 10-May-13 09:34:38

Hi dev, we have been a few times and always enjoyed it, but I know it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.
Last time was two years ago; DS had just turned 4 and DD had just turned 2. DS really loved it - he was able to go on a fair few rides, liked the shows, parades etc. Much of it went over DD's head, but she seemed to enjoy it too.
It is very noisy and busy though. I've never been at a bank holiday, but I think I recall reading somewhere that it's busiest during French public holidays. It was a couple of weeks after we got back from our last trip that DD's difficulties were identified - but of course they would have been there before, I just didn't realise. She was grand though; she seemed to like it, and was happy. I had brought her pushchair, so it was easy to get around. However, I can see how the noise, visuals and crowds could be overwhelming for some DCs (and adults!)
From what I understand, there's an easy access pass that visitors with disabilities can use; I think it means that you can get on the rides at the exit, and avoid the long queues. This might make things much easier if you do decide to go!
I hope you have a lovely break wherever you decide to go.

zzzzz Fri 10-May-13 09:51:25

As an aside. It is really important to brain wash expose your children to the activities you like so they have a chance to grow up with similar interests/joys and you can have fun together when they are adult.

dev9aug Sun 12-May-13 20:30:39

Thanks marchduck, I am glad your dc liked it. I know ds2 will be over the moon when we visit, but I am not sure what ds1's reaction would be. But as zzzzz pointed out, it is important for dc to take part in adult led activities as well.
I am a great believer in trying things. If you didn't have the experience, how could you ever know if you liked it or not. Thanks again for your helpful advice.

marchduck Sun 12-May-13 21:36:14

Yep, I'm also a believer in trying things. DD isn't routine driven, but does like sameness, if that makes sense. She is a home-bird; but anytime we go away, she seems to have a real burst of development - more engaged, more receptive.
We went for a wee trip at Easter - just one night at the North Coast, walked on the beach, amusements etc. We live in a seaside town, and none of these things are out of the ordinary for her, but the change of scenery seemed to work wonders - I can't work out why, but a good reason for more trips!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now