Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

IEP review

(21 Posts)
armani Thu 09-May-13 17:08:17

My dd is age 7 and in yr2 at a ms school. She is currently working on p levels and despite various interventions from school, (precision teaching, 1 hour a week with sn ta) she has not progressed.

We are currently awaiting an assessment by the EP in the next few weeks, also she has been re ref to salt.

Dds IEP is due for review this month and so far the school have made no suggestion about a meeting or review. I am hoping to discuss this with senco tomorrow, however dd is only on school action. Seeing as we are in the process of being ref to EP and salt would I be unreasonable to request this is changed to school action plus?

Thanks for reading.

armani Thu 09-May-13 20:36:52

Bump

PrinceRogersNelson Thu 09-May-13 20:46:04

My DD is only in nursery and is 4.5 yrs old, but has SALT and OT go into see her she is on school action plus. I would be quite concerned that on p levels and in year two she should have a lot of support in place. But maybe I am naive and I have all this to come grin

I have DD's IEP review tomorrow. But I had to chase for it and she forgot to ask DD's key worker and person who gives her support to come. I push for things, which is frustrating.

EnolaAlone Thu 09-May-13 20:49:51

I have just spoken to DH, who teaches KS1. He said generally it sounds like the school is doing well, precision teaching is quite a modern method and the school investing in this without your DD being school action plus yet is quite impressive. The school not setting the IEP review yet is quite a good sign, as they are probably focussing on working with your DD up until the deadline to see how much progress has been made before focussing on the new targets. The IEP can't be changed to school action plus until an outside body has confirmed it will be working with your child. Once the EdPsyc or SALT have assessed your child and confirmed they will be working with her, it should automatically be changed to school action plus. I hope this is useful to you.

PrinceRogersNelson Thu 09-May-13 20:53:49

Listen to EnolaAlone she seems to know dust she's talking about more than me!

armani Thu 09-May-13 21:05:53

Thankyou Enola that is really helpful. We are just currently waiting to be assigned an EP from mast (multi agency support team). So hopefully it shouldn't be too long now before EP is involved. It's also good to know that school are implementing provision that they don't have too, so thank you.

Prince I am concerned that despite the schools extra interventions dd has still not progressed sad it's heartbreaking really, as she tries so hard. I am trying to push for some 1-2-1 support but its such a long process.

EnolaAlone Thu 09-May-13 21:11:05

Yes, DH just said that unfortunately it does always seem to be a long process in getting the one to one support in place, even when this is what everybody wants. He finds it very frustrating. It depends on the local authority, and some are quicker than others. Good luck for you and DD!

chocjunkie Thu 09-May-13 21:44:32

OP, if your DD did not make progress despite a lot of extra help I would just apply for a statutory assessment myself. IPSEA have a model letter on their website.

armani Thu 09-May-13 22:11:15

Thankyou Enolasmile
Choc I have been thinking about this for a while, I don't want to put the schools back up if you see what I mean. So far they have been v supportive of dd.
I am undecided if I should just apply now or wait for the EP report. What would you do?

moondog Thu 09-May-13 22:11:22

Precision Teaching isn't a modern method at all although happily, there is a lot of interest in it currently (which is great news as it is one of the most effective ways to learn).

Great they are using it!
What for exactly?

armani Thu 09-May-13 22:20:29

They are using it 4 x a week to help with spellings. Dd has had precision teaching for spellings since starting y2 and still no progress sad she struggles with writing words like sun, dog etc independently.

Moondog can you offer any id vice regarding sa? If I apply now I'm worried without evidence from EP, they will turn down my request. Would you wait or apply ASAP?

armani Thu 09-May-13 22:20:57

Sorry advice

armani Fri 10-May-13 09:41:35

Bump

OneInEight Fri 10-May-13 11:39:35

Apply, because it will accelerate things with getting the EP to see your daughter and get the report done. Miraculous, how the report we had been waiting for for three months turned up the very next week after sending off our letter requesting SA and the EP actually turning up at a child concern meeting! Even if you don't get accepted immediately it will get all the paperwork in place so that in six months time you can apply again.

moondog Fri 10-May-13 21:13:30

So called procedures like 'School Action' are in most cases nothing more than pressing a button on a computer to churn out a string of jargon which is printed, signed and then stuffed in a drawer.
Statements usually aren't much better either and none of these would even exist (or need to) if people knew how to use basic procedures to break tasks down.
I'm concerned you say that with that level of PT she is making no progress as the whole purpose of PT is to measure progress (or lack of) and change tack according to it.

I'm sorry to sound so negative but I think you need to be asking specific questions about what exactly she is doing, why progress is so slow and what is being done about it.

armani Fri 10-May-13 21:19:39

Thanks for the advice oneineight. I will give it another few weeks for EP to be involved etc, IEP review and then go from there. I am worried that if I apply now I can't prove that the school aren't meeting dds needs, or specifically what her needs are, without an EP report. Also I don't as yet have any written evidence of dds lack of progress, only her teachers verbal explanation.
I have her written report from y1 with her levels on it but nouthing as yet from this year. Although once the mast referral goes through I should receive a copy of this, which incl her current levels.

I don't want to waste 6 months by applying now and getting turned down, when I could wait another few months to receive evidence in form of EP report and apply then.

Any advice on this would be really appreciated, Tia .

moondog Fri 10-May-13 21:27:16

'I don't as yet have any written evidence of dds lack of progress, only her teachers verbal explanation'

Ask to see the data.

armani Fri 10-May-13 21:30:04

Sorry xposted with moondog. I have questioned school about this and they simply replied that they have now ran out of ideas for things to try and support dd, as she has had a lot of extra support and is still not progressing through the p levels. Hence the referral to EP. They said that she has a very poor short term memory, poor attention span, poor organisational skills etc.

armani Fri 10-May-13 21:34:20

I have moondog and am now waiting for a copy of the report that was sent for EP referral. This includes all of the strategies the school have used with dd, her progress and their concerns. I was meant to recieve this on Tuesday but am still waiting.
Would this be enough proof to apply for sa?
I have her report from last year which states she was achieving a level 1c in yr1. Current teacher us now saying p7, so I questioned has she regressed. Teacher basically said her level from yr1 couldn't possibly be correct, it's a very fine line etc.

moondog Sat 11-May-13 10:12:21

I admire their honesty in saying they have run out of ideas and need help. Many schools won't admit this and keep telling the parents everything is ok so it looks like you have the setting for an honest dialogue at least. Urge them to continue to be honest with you but of course to show you evidence of what they have done and how she has responded.

armani Sat 11-May-13 19:08:14

Dds teacher this year has been absolutely brilliant, although its came as a bit of a shock as her teacher last year just assumed I wasn't supporting dds learning at home and said I need to do more with her and she would catch up. She also said dd was a level 1c, so for the end of year one I wasn't overly concerned. I spent the 6 week holidays working on phonics with dd, reading to her, playing phonics games etc and couldn't understand why dd didn't want to engage and didn't take any of it in. It was a terribly frustrating time.
However as I said this year her teacher has been totally honest with me and is helping to have dd assessed etc. the thing I'm worried about is if this will all change with her new teacher next year. This is why I want to pursue the SA as soon as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now