Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ep said dd should be in mainstream or split placement but she was due to move to ss, will this affect what happens?

(13 Posts)
used2bthin Thu 09-May-13 09:23:04

Just heard from dd1s teacher that she had ep assessment last week and she said dd1 was better off in mainstream, she is/was due to move to ss but it is a really hard decision as actually she is borderline for learning disability ( but so affected by communication issues she is in p levels, albeit quite high in them) so I have been worrying over what to do but now it really seems she is more confident at ss socially and more like sheis at home, her Ta said she is shy at school which horrifies me a bit as she is so confident . I think she knows she is different and is now asking for ss in the mornings instead of her usual no school I am poorly.

Anyway ep apparently said mainstream or split place for end of key stage one and I am worried she now won't get her ss place if we decide to go for it. Also I can't see the point of mainstream for one more year if she will have to move anyway? Can't get hold of ep today and am in a bit of a state over all this school stuff plus all sorts of quite serious medical stress with her.

used2bthin Thu 09-May-13 09:47:33


armani Thu 09-May-13 10:09:04

How old is dd?

used2bthin Thu 09-May-13 10:15:06

Six and a half so that gives her I think one more year in key stage one. She is currently year one.

armani Thu 09-May-13 11:05:50

Who initially suggest ss, was it the EP? I would ask for her updated recommendation in writing with her supporting evidence and then consider all options. Ultimately it is up to the LEA to decide but they do have to take into account your views.

used2bthin Thu 09-May-13 11:09:59

Lea suggested it after school contacted them for more one to one hours as dd was attacking children and hiding under the table. But since then she has moved up the p levels and has stopped hurting kids though is nowhere near as confident there as at home from the sound of it.

used2bthin Thu 09-May-13 11:11:52

I think the teacher was just reporting back on a conversation they had so I am not sure if she was there to decide about ss but the visit was arranged because we have annual review coming up and need to decide about which school or to carry on with both.

armani Thu 09-May-13 11:33:14

I wouldn't take anything the LEA suggest seriously unless you have it in writing, they often backtrack. I think you need to arrange a meeting with the EP and ask what she suggests and why. Also ask for this in writing. Make the EP aware of your views (ss) and ask if they will support this .

If the EP feels that dd does not need ss you could get a second opinion from an indi EP if you have the money. You could then submit that for the LEA to consider. Sorry if that's not an option to you.

My dd is in year 2 and also working at p levels. She also attends ms school but EP has yet not suggested ss, although dd doesn't have behavioural issues in school, only at home.

I am currently battling the lea to try and get her some 1 2 1 support and recognise its a very stressful time. Good luck!

MareeyaDolores Thu 09-May-13 18:24:46

Sometimes a 'split placement' could be recommended by a good EP who knows the LA will want more evidence to prove she does better on SS than in mainstream before agreeing full-time SS. Do you have faith in the EP?

Flappingandflying Thu 09-May-13 19:18:16

Stick with SS. If her school is having difficulties managing her behaviour then it's not going to get better as the gap will widen between her and her peers. Happiness is more valuable thanacademic success. Stick with what you think. I hate to say it but what te EP says will carry weight. What were her reasons?

used2bthin Thu 09-May-13 22:29:40

Thanks for replies.

Armani that's terrible she doesn't get support how stressful for you, awful how everything is a battle.

The conversation was second hand so I haven't actually spoke to the ep myself yet. And as far as I knew it was not an assessment of where she should go iykwim, lea wanted her moved as they said mainstream was not appropriate given her social and emotional level was p 2 to 3 at the time but now she is in p6 and predicted higher by end of year one, even at national curriculum for some areas of numeracy but not where language is involved which makes me think its great its a skill but how transferable will it be unless she learns to function socially.

Mareeya that's interesting as she seemed to be saying dd was not coping at her last assessment of her in reception year. Said she should continue mainstream with support but the report was all about how badly dd was managing or that's how I read it.

Clinical psych going in soon so will see what she thinks. Worrying if ep can change what happens though, I still hadn't entirely given up on mainstream but am less keen on it having heard she is so different there to at home even if she is (currently) much better behaved at school!

Flapping, not heard reasons yet but the teacher in ss was saying academically she can see why it's a hard decision as work could be adapted to her level in mainstream. My feeling really though is as you say, happiness is more important and also the skills she needs focussing on are different to what mainstream will teach. She seems happy in both but more herself perhaps in ss.

used2bthin Sun 12-May-13 09:29:19

Got two more assessment s this week aspartame of this process, I feel sick about the decision! Why is it so hard to see your own child objectively?! I genuinely can't tell if she is more similar to the kids in her mainstream class or those in her ss!

used2bthin Sun 12-May-13 09:29:43

Argh as part of this not aspartemine!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: