Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS heart rate has increased since being on Medikent/methylphenidate

(11 Posts)
chazbomb Wed 08-May-13 15:32:23

Has anyone else experienced the above. DS (nearly 7) has been on meds for adhd for 12 months which has improved his and our whole families life massively. He had paed check up app and his heart rate was increased, she asked me to get it checked with the GP who also found it to be increased. He's now been referred to a cardiologist at the children's hospital. I'm wondering if this is a medication. Side effect or an unrelated problem.

ouryve Wed 08-May-13 16:58:09

It is a stimulant!

Fast heart beat is a known serious side effect. They should be listed on the leaflet that came with the medication, but there's a summary, here.
www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682188.html#side-effects

LeonieDelt Wed 08-May-13 17:32:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chazbomb Wed 08-May-13 19:58:36

Im presumming they will change the medication then.

LeonieDelt Wed 08-May-13 21:55:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MareeyaDolores Thu 09-May-13 00:18:41

How fast is it? Stupidly quick?
Is the pulse fast really or just when some strange dr pokes his wrist?
Is pulse normal when meds out of system (try first thing in morning)?

Trigglesx Thu 09-May-13 11:12:48

Hope everything is okay. If you don't mind keeping us updated on how he is doing - we've told our paed that we're not comfortable medicating DS2 (same meds) as there is a family history of a rare muscular dystrophy that causes heart problems, and we're far too worried about possible heart complications. Paed is still trying to convince us it would "probably" be okay - easy for her to say when it's not her child. We're not budging, but this is info I'm interested in.

chazbomb Sun 12-May-13 21:46:45

Still waiting for the app to see the the cardiologist. His heart rate is 130. I've felt his heart going like the clappers in the evening after meds have worn off. It is a worry, the meds really have helped him so much though, he's much happier on them and able to cope with school as before dx school was a trauma most days! I'll let you know how he gets on trigglesx

MareeyaDolores Sun 12-May-13 23:07:35

Get GP to do ECG, anaemia and thyroid check while you're waiting?

MareeyaDolores Sun 12-May-13 23:08:09

Be a shame to lose the meds if there was another cause

ouryve Mon 13-May-13 09:28:03

There's other medication available. Strattera is non stimulant. It's just not first choice on the protocol because it is expensive and not always as effective as methylphenidate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now