Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Getting special needs pushchair??

(6 Posts)
lovemybabyboy Wed 08-May-13 11:47:23

Hi all, I need to get a special needs pushchair for my 4 and a half year old DS who has Autism. I have heard that there are charities to help with getting a pushchair and wondered if anyone had any advice about this? Who is entitled for this? Or would I be better off just trying to buy one myself? He is a very tall boy in age 6-7 yrs bottoms so really squashed in our phil and teds now and really need a special needs pushchair like the Macarena major, that's what they use in school when they go out.

Trigglesx Wed 08-May-13 13:35:39

We got DS2's Maclaren Major (when he was 4yo) through the OT (and wheelchair services) so it was free. He's got ASD/ADHD and is quite tall for his age.

Last summer when he turned 6yo, we swapped it out (through OT and wheelchair services) for a wheelchair. It's nice because we get less queries and comments from strangers about older children in pushchairs hmm. Yes, I know that shouldn't matter but it was stressful for us and he was starting to question what people were saying and getting upset. Plus, the wheelchair seems to work better for him at this point.

If he is seeing an OT, simply speak to them about it. If not, ask for a referral to see the OT so they can get it sorted for you. They can discuss his needs with you and see what the best option is for you.

lovemybabyboy Wed 08-May-13 15:58:23

Thanks for the advice, he has just started to be seen by camhs so I will ask them.
Wow, I'm surprised that people were passing judgement with him in a special needs pushchair! I would have thought people would know that they are not just a regular pushchair. I always have people passing us in the street giving their unwanted comments such as "he's too big to be in that" etc etc. very annoying, had thought/hoped it would stop once we got a special needs pushchair!

Trigglesx Wed 08-May-13 18:03:16

Nope. Most people don't recognise that a Mac Major is a SNs chair, and you often have to fight with bus drivers to recognise that it is actually a wheelchair (for children) and not a pushchair to fold up. People with pushchairs refused to fold them up on the bus and make way in the wheelchair spot, as to them we were just another pushchair. Aggravating. We had numerous people comment that he was far too old to still be in a pushchair.

lovemybabyboy Wed 08-May-13 19:44:33

Wow! I am so shocked and disappointed to hear that! That is so awful!

Trigglesx Thu 09-May-13 11:00:11

Unfortunately, there are a number of people on the SN board that have experienced this type of thing. You just need to grow a thick skin and plant your feet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now