Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Decided to start dd on medication what to expect?

(11 Posts)
Beebers Wed 08-May-13 10:41:22

Hi
Dd has been diagnosed with ADHD, have taken decision to start on mediket (sp?), what can I expect? Also is it possible to put it in an actimel or similar as she can't do tablets?

Thanks !

MadameSin Wed 08-May-13 11:38:27

Beebers ... interested in your reasons to medicate - is dd severe? My ds is 9 and we have resisted so far as paed not felt warranted. School feel differently on the other hand sad

Beebers Wed 08-May-13 13:00:29

Her behaviour is very extreme at home because she finds school so difficult. My hope is this will help her at school therefore have a knock on effect at home.

MadameSin Wed 08-May-13 17:04:13

Are school saying the same? purely out of interest. My ds is great at home but really struggles with attention etc at school. Luckily, his HT is a good'n .. she said that if he didn't feel under pressure to progress, we wouldn't see these behaviours - a bit of a double edged sword I suppose. I'm sure someone will come along soon with some good meds advice. Good luck! smile

BallyGoBackwards Wed 08-May-13 20:03:55

Hi there, my DS at aged 9 was diagnosed with ADHD (inattentive type) We didnt really have any problems at home and the only problem at school was his lack of attention.

Later in the year we moved to the UK and some problems started in school, more so with him being over emotional. We decided when he was 10 to put him on medication, mainly for his attention levels. He was on 36mg of concerta (daily). Over the months his personality totally changed, his personality was totally subpressed. His teacher decribed him as Zombie like. After 10 months we decided to take him off meds and see how he was.

He was off medication for 3 weeks in total. His behaviour in school went down hill very quickly. He was again over emotional and lacked any concentration. During classes he was fine but in free time/play time he just lost the plot.

After the three weeks CAHMS agreed that the original medication was probably too strong. He is now on 27mg of concerta a day. He seems much better on this strenght. He seems happier. School are happier.

So what you should expect is a change in your DD's appetite. Medication tends to suppress this. She may find it more difficult to go to sleep at night. You would need to check about how the meds should be taken. The one my DS takes is slow release so must be taken whole.

Good luck!!!!!

Beebers Wed 08-May-13 20:27:25

No it's the other way round she struggles with the school work but behaves but explodes when she walks out of the playground. I don't know how to give to her because she can't swallow tablets. I reckon a spoonful of honey?!

BallyGoBackwards Wed 08-May-13 22:57:38

How old is she Beebers?? Maybe practice with a tic tac....see if she can master swallowing whole. Just an idea. Think my DS was ok as he started taking fish oil capsules when he was fairly young.

Beebers Thu 09-May-13 06:11:03

She is seven, she makes a massive song and a dance about having to take medicine, she loves honey, I know it's not ideal but I might give it a go.

Jinty64 Thu 09-May-13 06:45:10

Ds1 (17) has been on medication since he was 8. He now takes Concerta XL 54mg. Initially it affected his appetite and still suppresses it during the day but he has found ways round this(pigs out in the evening). He finds it harder to settle at night if he hasn't Had his medication.

Ds has always been able to swallow them so I can't really advise but honey sounds good!

BallyGoBackwards Thu 09-May-13 11:59:24

Jinty Can I ask if your DS takes his meds all the time, as in 52 weeks of the year, in include holidays and time off school?

Agree with Jinty also, my DS also scoffs in the morning and evening so weight wise he is not effect. At the very start he did lose weight but now he is steady.

Jinty64 Thu 09-May-13 12:20:12

Yes, he takes them all the time. When he first started we tried not giving them in the holidays but found, especially with the change of routine, that it was no pleasure for anyone.

If he forgets to take them, which he does occasionally, it's very obvious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now