Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Some progress with her walking

(32 Posts)
Thomcat Fri 19-May-06 20:14:38

A while ago now physio gave us a walking frame for her. She took to it the same day and although still bum shuffles in the house she uses the frame every day and enjoys it. She tires and can't go for ever and it is obviously hard for her, you can see it, but she's doing so well with it.

Anyway, I've been trying to get her to walk with me, holding just one of my hands. A few weeks ago at the beach in Sherringham I managed to get her to take a few unsteady steps this way, so determined was she to carry a pebble and throw it into the sea. It was such a great moment. At last our first real preview of what it'll be like. The longer the non walking has gone on for the more that nagging feeling that it might never ever happen got worse.

Then this week she walked from the car, through gravel carpark, all the way round the side of the nursery building and into school holding just one of my hands

You can see from the way that she carries her legs it's hard for her but I could feel from how she was holding my hand she wasn't putting all her weight onto me to support her, I was there to balance her, not fully support her.

I know we have a way to go, but that's fine, I just needed to see some progress and I have and it feels great

Her SALT rang me this week to say how much progress she thought she had made in the 6 weeks she hasn't seen her for and was really pleased with her.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Fri 19-May-06 20:50:10

Hey that's brill TC And walking on sand and gravel are both pretty tough on little legs!

Are you back at work now? or ?

Thomcat Fri 19-May-06 20:53:41

I know bless her. Our patio area is all gravel and the man is coming tomorrow to get rid and lay a new sandstone patio with path so she can have the full run of the garden.

Back at work 6 june, feel sick at the thought of it, want to cry but hoping i'll end up feeling that i have the best of both worlds and will be all 's again. Only doing tues-thurs 10am-5pm.

Christie Fri 19-May-06 21:55:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eidsvold Fri 19-May-06 22:49:59

I was hoping this was you - before you know it you will be chasing her and trying to stop her running away from you.

Great to hear how much progress she is making

I can remember how much I wanted dd1 to walk and she is getting better at holding our hands and walking with us BUT when she decides she is going in a different direction.... she can be so bloody fast.....

Thomcat Fri 19-May-06 22:57:56

Thanks Christie and thanks edisvold, bless you. I remember your post about your dd walking and how happy i was for you. How is that little monkey and when are you bringing her back to the uk so I can sede her??

Feel like lottie has never been such hard work. That is one strong willed, stubborn, difficult, argumantative little madam I have on my hands - she's great!

That's why this walking lark is taking so long. She will not be told, helped, shown etc. It has to be her idea, her way, in her time on her own. Great, i love it, but not the best personality traits to have when you have special needs and need a lot of help, support, etc!!!

eidsvold Sat 20-May-06 08:28:44

tc - it is going to cost us almost 8000 dollars to fly back to the UK - luckily we don't have to pay for much accomodation but factor in car hire and well - we need to keep saving

I too have a little girl - well in fact two little girls who seem to have the attitude all in their own good time

anniebear Sat 20-May-06 19:53:50

Oh Fantastic!!!!!

Clary Sun 21-May-06 00:49:46

Oh TC I've just seen this and I am so pleased. I was wondering how it was going but that's fantastic progress, well done you and Lottie!

Blu Sun 21-May-06 23:04:44

Oh, sweetheart, just seen this, and have tears in my eyes picturing Lottie clutching a pebble and determined to throw it in the sea. The little darling - it sounds as if her own will and determination to walk has been motivated - she was resisting before, wasn't she?

Isn't she great?

PinkKerPlink Mon 22-May-06 08:03:03

lovely TC

what kind of pyshio input do you have atm? do you have any access to a conductive education centre? My dd has physical disabilities as well has having learning difficulties and she attended a physical disabled school when she was 3 that did conductive education as part of the school routine. It brought my dd on no end. the fact that it is all part of the structure helped her to realise it was actually a choice to make, it was fun and it helped her get more mobile. She had took her first steps before two years old, but at 3 was still wobbling. She is now 6 1/2 and walks quite steady but finds stairs are still a problem. Have you got a school place? (I remember your dd and my ds are the same age!)

heartinthecountry Mon 22-May-06 12:26:44

That's great TC - I know only too well that little voice of doubt as to whether it will ever happen. It sounds like she is well on her way though now.

Actually this thread has really got me thinking about how I really need to address the fact that dd isn't walking yet - so thanks for the inspiration Lottie!

Thomcat Mon 22-May-06 20:37:59

Thanks everyone. And HITC - hope your little girl is up on those legs soon, good luck sweet.

Pinkkerplink - no idea what an conductive education centre is tbh. We have the usual physio through the nhs. She goes into nursery to see her and briefs the teachers on what to be doing next with her and a copy is snet to me at home. Lottie is going to the local mainstream catholic school and they also happen to be the leader for special needs as a mainstream school. She is statemented and we'll get 25 hours a week when she starts this september.

motherinferior Mon 22-May-06 20:40:49

Fabulous!

I'm pretty sure once you're back in the working routine you will feel it's the best of all worlds; FWIW I really didn't want to go back as soon as I did after DD2 (if I didn't, I risked losing the major contracts which pay my bills) but once I did, it was fine.

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Mon 22-May-06 20:41:18

How much does 25 hours a week translate to? 0.?????

Well done Lottie on the walking btw.

Thomcat Mon 22-May-06 22:37:07

Jimjams - she's at school for 6 hours a day and for 5 of those hours each day she'll have a one to one teacher with her. Does that not seem right to you then? I'd value your opinion.

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Mon 22-May-06 22:46:35

I refused to accept anything less that full time 1:1 for ds1- including breaks and lunches, but he wouldn't have been safe without it as he needs full time supervision in an open environment like a mainstream school (he doesn't get that much 1:1 now, but a special school environment is much safer), Whether its right for Lottie or not will depend on how much help she needs in moving around and communicating.If she requires a constant available hand to hep her move safely for example than you would need (imo) to really refuse anything except 1.0 support, otherwise you'll end up with a situation where there's no one to help her to the toilet etc. I do also know 2 children with AS who get full time 1.0 in their statements - so I think if you ask you do often get iyswim.

milge Mon 22-May-06 23:06:18

When I saw this, I was hoping it was you TC. So pleased to hear of Lottie's progress - WTG!

PinkKerPlink Tue 23-May-06 09:30:10

Thomcat, do you feel being left for an hour a day is acceptable? I don't. I think it's awful, I know it is only one hour but she has mobility and learning problems, how can that be justified. Dont forget the TA has to help other children in the class aswell.

Conductive education is a ceratin type of physio (I will try and find a link for you). What are they doing about the physio in school, will it be incorporated into the daily routine?

batters Tue 23-May-06 09:38:12

Thomcat, what a lovely post . Well done to Lottie and to you.

PinkKerPlink Tue 23-May-06 09:45:19

conductive education

this may be useful if you are interested

the links do emphasise it is designed for children with cerebral palsy but in reality it helps any child with delays. My dd has a learning disability and it has helped her when she was less mobile. She is doing the MOVE program these days through school, which is basically making sure she is as mobile as possible.

Enid Tue 23-May-06 09:46:43

geekgrrl Tue 23-May-06 09:54:26

only just spotted this Thomcat - I'm so pleased for you! As others have said, she'll be running off before you know it (probably when the other little kitten starts running off, too! and then you'll have your hands full).

Do sort out Lottie's provision at school - how would she cope with going to the toilet for example in that hour without support?
Are you sure there isn't another section for midday support? In my dd's statement the teaching support and midday support were in different sections but added up to full-time support.

Anyway, well done on the walking and good luck with the statement.

Marina Tue 23-May-06 09:55:28

How lovely for Lottie and you that she got to throw a pebble in the sea in Sheringham.

I really hope this doesn't sound poncey TC , but what with the wide-openness of the N Norfolk beaches, the picture you painted of her determination and focus, I could not help thinking of what Isaac Newton said about his great lifetime achievements:

"I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."

What Lottie did with your help is a massive achievement for her too and getting mobile means that she's standing on her own two feet on the edge of her ocean of discovery too. I'm so happy for her and you. XXX

PinkKerPlink Tue 23-May-06 09:58:12

oh Marina, you are fantastic you know not at all poncey

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: