Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DD (7) showing some ASD traits and I'm starting to get a bit concerned.....

(8 Posts)
CwtchesAndCuddles Tue 07-May-13 17:25:00

Bit of background.
DS (5) has ASD and learning difficulties, he attends a special school, we had concerns about him from 18 months and the dx process and statement were straightforward. All my dc second cousins on DH side of the family have a mix of dyspraxia / dyslexia / ADHA - except for dd. DH would IMO get a dx of aspergers / asd but doesn't see the point.

DD was a great baby, no concerns, a bit slow to talk but nothing of note, SALT friend was not worried. Used to line things up a lot as a toddler, but nothing excessive.

She is struggling in school now, pace of work is an issue and she forgets what to do next.
Behind in reading but loves maths, hopeless at time and estimating though.
Gets very frustrated if she is "wrong" or can't do something.
Likes to obey the rules, lines up like a soldier in school!
Not as sociable as she used to be with peers, school friend circle now much smaller, gets on well with adults.
Have to keep telling her things - today she forgot to wear knickers to school! (again - last time she was doing cartwheels and was spotted in the yard, today she was more careful)
Always leaving things behind.
Collects things like a magpie, I find all sorts in pockets that she is planning to make things with.
Gets very upset about parting with things.

School agree that she is slipping and after having a word they have decided to put some measures in place re her reading / pace of work for this term and plan to review at the end of the year. Class teacher is very good, haven't spoken to senco yet myself.

My fear is that she is going to find things harder as she gets older and slip further behind, but I'm also unsure if I'm seeing more things because I'm looking due to family history? My gut feeling is that she is on the spectum somewhere but at the moment the signs are subtle.

Can anyone offer me some advice, I really don't know which way to go on this, with ds everything was so clear cut!

Ineedmorepatience Tue 07-May-13 17:31:00

I think girls are often harder to unpick than boys because they seem to have an instinctive desire to fit in and not appear different.

They are much more likely to be passive and withdrawn in school. If I were you I would start to make a list of all the things that you are concerned about and either talk to your GP or Ds's paediatrician if he has one. With your family history it would make sense to follow it up before she gets too close to secondary age.

Good luck smile

UnChartered Tue 07-May-13 17:33:25

Hi cwtch

sorry to see you are having concerns about your DD

it's now more widely accepted that girls on the spectrum do display their traits much more subtly than boys, have you read any of the notes on the NAS site on girls at all?

my advice is to make notes of all the things you think indicate she is on the spectrum, and go and see your GP.

keep talking to her class teacher and keep notes of any conversations you have indicating they share your concerns.

and don't worry thanks

CwtchesAndCuddles Wed 08-May-13 08:53:43

Thanks for the advice, anyone have any book recommendations on asd in girls?

Thanks

Ineedmorepatience Wed 08-May-13 12:46:31

Not books but I read a good article in the SEN magazine. I will try to copy and paste it or do a link for you.smile

Ineedmorepatience Wed 08-May-13 12:48:16

https://www.senmagazine.co.uk/articles/1157-is-autism-different-for-girls

Try that see if it works smile

CwtchesAndCuddles Wed 08-May-13 15:10:31

Thanks for that - I may print it off for class teacher & senco and highlight the areas I think would help dd.

Ineedmorepatience Wed 08-May-13 15:13:46

Yes good idea, I have printed one off for Dd3's SENCO, not that she needs it really because she is amazing but she is keen to know more.

I might do a new thread with the link so others dont miss out.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now