Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Discoloured PEG tube

(12 Posts)
dontlaugh Tue 07-May-13 00:56:49

Hi, my first time in this section but long time mner smile.
My ds has a peg which we've been managing fine with since it was placed 6 weeks ago. However I noticed discoloration on the inside of it today, could be meds or could be buildup of unflushed milk possibly. I'll speak to his peg nurse tomorrow but thought I'd ask here if this has happened anyone and was it possible to clean it without replacing it?? Thanks thanks.

BeeMom Tue 07-May-13 01:45:18

What colour is the discolouration? if it is dark green-black, that can be normal, from gastric secretions in the tube itself. If it is anything else, you can put just enough Coke into the tube to fill it, then clamp/close the tube and let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour. The acids and carbonation in the Coke will break down organic residue inside the tube. Flush it quickly with warm water and that should help to clear it.

Now, if he is on any antacid medications, almost all of them can discolour the tube anything from purple to brownish-black. If that is the case, there is nothing you can do (and nothing that needs doing). It looks awful, but it is no risk to him.

dontlaugh Tue 07-May-13 09:21:53

Thank you so much beemum, you are a star. It's dark, he's on antacid meds and also a few other dark coloured ones, so it's that. I had no coke but tried sparkling water and it made a big difference.
I hadn't been flushing pre feeds due to his vomiting but will start now.

2old2beamum Tue 07-May-13 10:16:15

Both DC's have PEGs DD's is fine only a few meds tube looks fine, DS PEJ looks disgusting, he has many meds. Both were put in on the same day (nightmare!) Also DS is fed continuosly
Agree with BeeMom
Good luck

dontlaugh Tue 07-May-13 13:32:59

Thanks 2old, wow, 2 on the same day! That's hard going.
Hope they are doing ok. Now that you say it DS is fed 18/24 which could explain the colour also, with a vile hydrolysed formula.
The things we learn!!

BeeMom Tue 07-May-13 13:59:36

If your DS is fed for long periods, when you think of it (honestly, that makes more sense than "every X hours", as we are human and forget) flush his tube quickly with about 5 ml of water. The speed of the water in the tube will loosen residue, but the volume hopefully will not be enough to cause him too much upset.

Bee is on a hydrolysed formula, too - they really do a number on the tubes - blech!

BeeMom Tue 07-May-13 14:05:37

Lansoprazole, pantoprazole and omeprazole definitely discolour to brownish/black, esomeprazole goes bright purple.

It is so odd the information we collect in our brains after a while...

2old2beamum Tue 07-May-13 14:51:40

Yep he is on Omeprazole. He is fed continuosly except for showering but has meds 4x a day

The milk STINKS

dontlaugh Tue 07-May-13 15:02:29

Omeprazole too! Bleurgh. And Neocate formula. Bleurgh x2 smile. Galfer also and antibiotics. Upon reflection, the miracle is it's see through at all.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Tue 07-May-13 15:29:49

Do you flush every time you disconnect? That would help to clear the stains. My dd is fed overnight and in the morning there is a lot of Neocate residue in the tube. Takes a couple of flushes to remove - mostly after her meds.

Have you asked about Nexium? It's a granulated and dissolvable form of omeprazole that goes down the tube very easily and so does not stain - no little balls of meds to stick to the sides.

dontlaugh Tue 07-May-13 15:52:10

Thanks Ophelia, I'm guilty of not always flushing but this has taught me a lesson blush.
Nexium is not covered for this country (not UK) under DSs entitlements but I am willing to pay for it. Consultant is sending px this week.

2old2beamum Tue 07-May-13 17:28:26

DS has liquid omeprazole it has a short shelf life about 3 weeks so a bit of a fag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now