Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Certizine for allergies any experience with your dcs .

(10 Posts)
autumnsmum Sun 05-May-13 15:46:16

Hello my dd 3.7 months has autism and she also developed appalling hayfever with a constantly streaming nose .She has been taking certified for this since Thursday . However it may be coincidence but since then she seems to have had a noticeable regression .her behaviour has become very unsettled and she has started opening and closing doors again repeatedly she is also saying no to everything I am aware this might be because of the illness but I wondered if anyone had any experience of the meds thanks

Ineedmorepatience Sun 05-May-13 15:56:17

Hi autumnsmum I dont know if the drug is causing the regression or if it might be the hayfever itself. I feel absolutely horrid when I have got bad hayfever. I always feel exhausted.

There is another simialr medication you could try Loratadine which can be given to small children Dd3 has had it in liquid form and now takes one tiny tablet each day when the pollen is high.

Hope you get her sorted good lucksmile

UnChartered Sun 05-May-13 15:58:39

we use certirizine (sp?) with DD who also has ASD - she is almost 6yrs

this is the best one for her.

with anti histamines i've found it really depends on what suits, she is so crabby taking piriton, but others can take this without detrimental side-effects.

it could be the meds or the sensory effect of her hayfever that is affecting her regression/behaviour

i don't think there is an easy answer - has she taken any other anti-histamines in the past?

notapizzaeater Sun 05-May-13 16:45:05

Ds takes certrazine for hay fever and has done for 3 years in fact he seems much calmer when on it. I think he sleeps better ( he sleeps fine - but i think he is more refreshed) and have discussed with the doctor about keeping him on it all year.

PolterGoose Sun 05-May-13 16:58:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

autumnsmum Sun 05-May-13 17:15:27

Thanks everyone I guess it's not that then must just be having a bad weekend!

ouryve Sun 05-May-13 18:29:14

DS1 was vile on cetirazine. Even though we tried it during a period when he was quite calm and settled, he became really angry and aggressive - actually nasty - on it.

It knocks me out. I just get really heVY LIMBS, THEN sleep for a day.

ouryve Sun 05-May-13 18:30:15

He's fine on loratadine, btw. I have no nasty side effects from it, either.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Mon 06-May-13 04:39:52

DS3 has been on cetirizine since he was 21mo, as he has multiple allergies + hayfever. He was over active anyway, so I haven't noticed any difference.

Piriton (chlorphenamine maleate) makes him drowsy and grumpy.

He's still too young for Loratadine as you have to be 3yo and he's only 2y3mo.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Mon 06-May-13 04:41:06

He's on it year round, and so am I for my environmental allergies.

I have no problem with it.

Personally I find Loratadine doesn't do anything for my allergies, and it makes me tired.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now