Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Could their diagnosis be wrong??

(5 Posts)
jogalong Fri 03-May-13 23:35:19

Ds age 3.5 has been to see his pediatrician and she has told me he has autisim. We were Im her room for about 20 min In total. He was freaking out In the room where she assessed him and was very non compliant.
He is currently being assessed for asd by the early intervention team and they are indicating probable asd but not definite.
I know i sound like i can't accept this and the reality is that i can't bst that she can say this after meeting him for 20 mins.
She has refereed him to a psychologist. So i have a while before i really have to accept this diagnosis be(if that is what it is)
Has anyone else being told their child might have autisim and then it was ruled out??

Was this actually a DX? Usually there is a multi disciplinary team involved and an ADOS. It might be that the psychologist will also have to give their input. TBH, my DS was DXed at 3.5, and the paed suspected ASD within half an hour, but didn't officially DX him for 6 months. I went through a period of denial, but with time it became more obvious. sad

Strongecoffeeismydrug Sat 04-May-13 08:29:12

DS pead told me within 10 mins that she was certain it was autism,however she said he had to complete all assessments and a multi disciplinary before he would get the official DX.

auntevil Sat 04-May-13 16:27:07

DS was informally Dx with dyspraxia , but they queried aspergers. This query came off the table at a later date when it could not be comprehensively confirmed.
What I would say is that even without a Dx, he has definite traits, but these are co- morbid in other Dx such as dyspraxia ( sensory processing)
Ultimately it is more about help and support. Do you think that your DS needs help and support in some areas? If you do then the name of the Dx is less relevant than getting the support.

coff33pot Sat 04-May-13 18:28:11

I would say that the pead has done the right thing. Spotted traits of some sort and referred on to further investigate smile

It took the pead that saw DS only 12 minutes before she told me he would get a full statement she would make sure of it as he needs support due to asd. SALT saw him less than 10 mins, OT 10 mins.

Sometimes it is just "there" but to fully confirm a full multi assessment and all the tests need to be done to confirm including full child history etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now