Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Funding for private school

(8 Posts)
Chewmebush Fri 03-May-13 15:38:14

Hello everyone. I have a son with a statement who is due to go to secondary school in September. The school he is due to go to are not putting the things in place which his statement says should be done. He is academically very bright so how would I stand getting funding for an independent school? Many thanks for any advice offered.

cornypringle Fri 03-May-13 15:43:35

what do they need to have in place and what makes you think that they aren't going have things in place?
to get an indi SS you will have to prove that his secondary school can't meet his needs.

Chewmebush Fri 03-May-13 15:50:08

Well on his statement it says from Spring term 13 he is to have a day a week at secondary school. That isn't happening.
The 3 half days he had had have been in lessons with children who are significantly less able academically so obviously they aren't meeting his academic needs either.

cornypringle Fri 03-May-13 15:57:01

I think primary school are responsible transition to secondary - have they sorted it out with them?

have you met the SENCO of the secondary?
Do they set according to ability?
Will they assess on entry e.g. with CATS?

I know when my ds1 did a transition thing it was with other SEN kids and not his actual peer group - perhaps that's why he was in a group with children who were less able.

Chewmebush Fri 03-May-13 16:05:26

Primary have provided secondary with all the advice, support and strategies which they feel he would benefit from and it's not been taken on board.
They do set according to ability but not on transition due to lack of staffing even tho primary released a body for this.
I have met senco who did think he would need additional funding on top of his statement provision but since then has done a complete u turn and isn't even meeting the statemented provision.
What is cats?
Thanks for your advice smile

cornypringle Fri 03-May-13 16:14:57

sorry CATS are tests that some secondaries do with Year 7 on entry

you need some evidence that they aren't meeting his needs to start to build your case.
For indi SS you will have to prove that they can't meet his needs.

you could email them (letters can 'get lost') to point out that they aren't meeting the requirements of the statement.

The LA are ultimately responsible for meeting the provision on the statement, so you could let secondary SENCO know that you will be contacting them for further advice.
Might get their butts in gear anyway.

Chewmebush Fri 03-May-13 16:31:29

Thank you corny.

Schmedz Sat 04-May-13 22:41:08

Be careful about thinking an independent school will necessarily be able to provide any better support than your LEA allocated secondary! Sometimes they have even less experience with adequate SEN provision...
Good luck finding the most suitable place.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: