Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Statutory assessment advice please

(5 Posts)
flowwithit Thu 02-May-13 16:16:12

It has taken a long time but at last LA are starting SA! I don't know what to expect. My Ds is in ms secondary school and we have a private Dx of HFA which we are in the process of having confirmed by NHS as well but that will just take some more time to complete. Any general advice please?

beautifulgirls Thu 02-May-13 21:38:43

There should be all relevant professionals in to see him to assess, so make sure you request that they do get things like OT done if you feel that is relevant to his needs. You will be asked for your views if you haven't already had that chance, and do make sure you let them know what you think his difficulties are and how those might be supported. They should also ask for his views at some point in it all, but possibly worth you sitting and chatting with him about this as he may not know himself what would help him or how he would actually feel with support there - would he like it or feel singled out by it? etc. Once all the info is in then the LA decide whether to issue a statement or a note in lieu. You then must appeal if NIL or check the statement carefully to ensure it is enforceable - no woolly wording such as "access to...." "consideration to be given to..." but ensure wording is more like "DS will be given 1 hour a week of speech and language therapy delivered by a speech and language therapist experienced in working with children with ASD" etc.

flowwithit Thu 02-May-13 21:47:53

Thank you do you know if I will be informed in advance when they are going to meet with ds in school?

beautifulgirls Thu 02-May-13 22:06:14

You should be told I believe if anyone is going in to see him. It may be school themselves do this though if there is a particular member of staff he gets on with well. Worth asking the school to let you know about all meetings and how his views will be obtained in all of this.

flowwithit Fri 03-May-13 11:24:37

Thanks I will check that he wouldn't like to have a meeting or test just sprung on him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now