Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Aspergers 6yrs old and struggling

(6 Posts)
boysx2 Wed 01-May-13 18:26:46

My son is 6 in last term of yr1. He has 1:1 support for half a day every week and during this time enjoys school an makes progress. The rest of the day although supported by the teacher and a ta is left to cope. This is when things tend to go down hill not surprisingly. A number of strategies have been put in place such as reward systems, choice, small group working, time out in tent areA etc, however just lately his behaviour and sel esteem has taken a nose dive, he has started to punch himself in the head, stick fingers down his throat saying he needs to get this thing out, spit, bang his head on the floor and cry and scream. There is no obvious triggers, the teachers seem unable to calm him until the meltdown runs its course and I'm not sure they are recognising the signs of a meltdown early enough to defuse before it gets too big. I am at a loss as to what to do. Talking to son gets limited answers, I'm not there so can't see what's going on, no more funding available to provide 1:1 for the afternoon available. Anyone got ANY advice. I am on rock bottom with ideas and can't seen to find / access any support group in my area hmm thanks for reading x

HotheadPaisan Wed 01-May-13 19:04:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

boysx2 Wed 01-May-13 19:34:48

Yup, 17hrs a week, 12 + 5 lunch time support.

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 01-May-13 19:37:10

It sounds to me like he is not being supported adequately for his needs.

Sorry to be blunt, but funding is dependent on need and not on what the school want to provide.

The best thing you could do right now, is ensure a written trail of all incidents. Every time it happens, write to the school about it. What he says about unhappiness, write to the school about. What the school say, write to them to clarify that you have understood correctly.

For example, you must write to them about the fact that your ds is deteriorating and ask them to clarify that there is no more funding available to support him. I bet they will not put this in writing and funding may just be found (hoping). If not, you still have evidence of their failure to provide support when they are aware of his difficulties which will provide useful evidence for a statement/change of placement or additional support.

HotheadPaisan Wed 01-May-13 19:37:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

boysx2 Wed 01-May-13 22:29:21

Thanks both will take advice. NHS won't provide anything further than s&l at the mo, recently had peadiatrition appt review meeting but was like banging head on brick wall for all the use. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now