Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Retained Reflexes

(16 Posts)
salondon Wed 01-May-13 10:15:56

Those of you who have motor skills issues, who are you seeing? We used to go to Hemispheres till about a year ago. checking to see if there are other better options. INPP said they will start only at 6.5y old

zumbaleena Wed 01-May-13 10:23:01

wht r retained reflxes salondon?

salondon Wed 01-May-13 10:58:19

this might help - http://www.retainedneonatalreflexes.com.au/test-at-hom/

Badvoc Wed 01-May-13 12:28:57

I used inpp.
Very happy.
You could check out the tinsley house support thread too.

CrowdedHome Wed 01-May-13 16:10:47

I used the Sound Learning Centre in London and was very pleased.

(But my DS was older)

Their neurodevelopment program is retained reflex therapy.

skewiff Wed 01-May-13 20:55:47

salondon - why were you unhappy with hemispheres?

Badvoc - would you recommend Tinsley House over INPP - or do they do totally different things?

Badvoc Wed 01-May-13 21:02:35

Skewiff...I am glad we went to inpp (we also did ait too) prior to TH as I feel they both really helped ds but the greatest strides have been made since he started TH.
Tbh the neuro exercises of inpp are quite similar to those of TH.
I guess I would say that inpp (and similar) help with one area of difficulty. Whereas TH is a more rounded approach.

salondon Thu 02-May-13 09:38:09

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
skewiff - We were quite happy with Hemispheres actually. Used them for over a year. However they were very far from where we live and our OT there left. The new OT wasnt as confident with my daughter.

salondon Thu 02-May-13 11:17:09

Is anyone using hopscotch here?

fishoils Thu 02-May-13 22:55:17

thank you salondon and Badvoc.

salondon Thu 02-May-13 22:57:57

Who do you use fishoils?

dev9aug Fri 03-May-13 15:55:37

we are using hopscotch. It is mainly about Sensory Integration, very very different from RRT. I would have thought hemispheres will be the place for RRT as thats who we will be seeing soon for ds1.

mrslaughan Fri 03-May-13 18:29:56

We are - think they are fantastic - huge improvement in DS.

Why did you stop with hemispheres?

What I would say, after DS seeing a number of OT's (before hopscotch) is that you need to be seeing a difference in your child by about the3 month mark - and not just seeing that they can do things better in therapy, but that they can start to use those skills outside of the therapy environment.
HTH

salondon Fri 03-May-13 21:42:30

I think we started hemispheres before my daughter was ready for any reflex integration. Don't know how to explain it. She did start walking after a year but I don't know of it was due to the intervention or it just happened.

The reason we stopped is that our OT left. I didn't quite like the new OT.

But I resumed the body brushing and joint compression recently and my daughter allowed me to do it. To be honest, I am wondering if a DIY approach is possible/sensible. We are already spending lots of ABA now.

Badvoc Sat 04-May-13 08:23:54

We did rrt with my son when he was 7. He wouldn't have been ready/able/compliant to do it before then I don't think.

salondon Sun 05-May-13 05:08:09

Yes that's exactly what i mean Badvoc. Mine used to scream blue murder the moment we entered the room at Hemispheres. Now she is allowing me to brush her arms and legs and do the joint compression.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now