Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Any advice on Key words for parental response regarding statement???

(7 Posts)
Starxx Tue 30-Apr-13 13:24:01

We have our draft statement, have visited 3 schools and we love one of them ...it is just sooo right for our son ... but how do I express that? I am not good at writing things down so just wondered if you guys had any key words I could use to include and work with?

Thanks in advance

Star xx

lougle Tue 30-Apr-13 13:34:33

Is it a State Mainstream School? You have the right to name any school. You should literally be able to say 'please send him to x school.'

If the LA don't want to do that, they have to have good reasons.

Starxx Tue 30-Apr-13 13:41:23

Its a special school.

lougle Tue 30-Apr-13 13:50:10

Were all 3 of the schools that you looked at, Special Schools? Or did you look at MS and Special?

Would you say, looking at the Statement, that it is tailored towards a special school environment?

I'm asking because DD1's statement was very clearly not suitable for Mainstream. The LA person told me that should I choose MS, she would have to withdraw the proposed statement and redraft it for MS.

Either way, the first step is simply to name the Special School you want, then go from there.

Starxx Tue 30-Apr-13 14:05:45

Definately leaning towards a special school. All the schools we went to were special (he is currently in MS and struggling bless).

We really want this school lol ... and we know they have places ....its just if they can meet his needs I guess!

Oh fingers and toes are all crossed xx

lougle Tue 30-Apr-13 14:10:02

If the statement leans towards special school, then it should be simply a case of stating the school name.

The only issue you may have, is if it is not the nearest SS which could meet your DS's needs. Then the LA may say that you have to transport him there, because they would wish to place him at his nearest SS.

Starxx Tue 30-Apr-13 15:01:54

Its fairly far away (about 15 miles) but the other one that deals with ESB issue is about 16 miles away .... there are other special schools near to us but they are more for the physical side and autistic side of things and not what he needs .... oh I do hope we get it (can you tell lol) x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now