Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Summary of ABA research, good for tribunals!

(10 Posts)
sickofsocalledexperts Tue 30-Apr-13 08:12:01

Another great blog from Professor Richard Hastings, with a good summary of all the research (yet again showing how ABA gets better results than "eclectic"). Wish someone in a government education dept would take note!

profhastings.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/the-most-significant-and-original-data.html

MareeyaDolores Tue 30-Apr-13 12:42:17

Blimey! 30% of ABA'd dc increased their IQ by >27 points, and 20% of them increased their Vineland score (life-skills-quotient) by >20 points.

In fairness, a few of the control dc did too (6% and 5% respectively).

If I'm reading the methodology correctly, any smaller increases in IQ and Vineland scores weren't analysed because only the big gains could be definitively attributed to the ABA. Little gains are more common and can be influenced by a range of factors (bet there was a 'non-statistically significant trend' towards positive outcomes though)

sickofsocalledexperts Tue 30-Apr-13 14:58:13

Yes I have seen a small minority of kids do awesomely well on ABA, even to the extent of now flying solo at mainstream secondary school. My own boy has just done well, but that will do fine!

salondon Tue 30-Apr-13 16:36:26

SickOf, Mareeya - Do you guys have any resources I can use to introduce ABA to the day care? I dont want to take too much information. just a couple of A4 sheetssmile

sickofsocalledexperts Tue 30-Apr-13 16:51:12

Very good question - I think that a two page brief intro to ABA for schools is much-needed. Not sure if there is one, as they tend to be a bit academic. There is an intro to ABA on the BeyondAutism website that is fairly plain English, also one on VB on there which goes into mands etc. Could be worth a look.

PipinJo Wed 01-May-13 00:01:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MareeyaDolores Wed 01-May-13 23:01:45

Hi salondon, is This any good?

MareeyaDolores Wed 01-May-13 23:07:53

Tbh, though, ABA at base is just looking at 'behaviours' in the context of 'reinforcement'. As is toddler taming, but in a more systematic way. Similarly, breaking down a skill to teach bits and then chaining it back together, is nursery education. So is gradually shaping an existing behaviour. Like how they teach children to use a cutlery, for example.

So early-years staff often 'get' ABA in a way that big-school teachers don't

moondog Thu 02-May-13 07:44:09

That's not a bad book Maryeea although I prefer Robert Schramm as a gentle readable intro to ABA that resonates with real warmth and kindness and humanity.
(Apologies for sounding like Miss World contestant but it really does.)

salondon Thu 02-May-13 15:30:33

Thanks Moondog and Mareeya. This is very useful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now