Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

is this possible pda.....or just plain naughtiness?

(10 Posts)
sweetteamum Mon 29-Apr-13 22:45:32

My DS is year 5, aged 10. I feel like we've done something terrible in a previous life.

His attitude to us is awful. He has no respect and seems to view himself on the same level as us rather than a child.

He's constantly aggressive. And I mean whenever he's not at school he's causing arguments with his dad, hits his poor sister, who we are forever protecting.

He's like the evil child that can be so loving one minute then can suddenly switch.

We are forever on eggshells, wondering what kind of mood he'll be in.

He seems to look in the cupboard, as for the things we don't have then kicks off and gets aggressive.

We are just so exhausted with his behaviour and it's only getting worse. He is worse at home and school never see the aggression but he acts inappropriate in school too.

I just don't know what we can do.

MareeyaDolores Tue 30-Apr-13 01:13:55

Not normal. Not just naughty. Doesn't really matter if its adhd, asd, odd, PDA, main issue is get a diagnosis and some strategies. Risking helps ds1 not to act on every violent impulse

MareeyaDolores Tue 30-Apr-13 01:14:29

Aargh. Ritalin not risking (the latter being half the problem...)

sweetteamum Tue 30-Apr-13 06:54:20

Thank you. Do you have to have a diagnosis to be medicated? That's probably an obvious question.

We are currently under Paed but Camhs discharged him on the grounds it's not a mental health issue.

LeonieDelt Tue 30-Apr-13 07:43:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ineedmorepatience Tue 30-Apr-13 08:33:07

My Dd3 also has the issue of not understanding that she is not an adult. She doesnt get it at all. She also gets very angry if she cant have what she wants.

Luckily she is not violent, she is shouty and can be aggressive but it is in the form of throwing stuff or door slamming.

She has a dx of Asd. I agree with mareeya it is not "normal" behaviour, you do need to push for a dx.

Good luck smile

sweetteamum Tue 30-Apr-13 09:06:49

Thank you both. Yes, I will definitely keep pushing. It's just that sometimes I feel it's me that's made him this way.

popgoestheweezel Tue 30-Apr-13 09:36:20

Those behaviours sound just like those of my ds (7). We have been seeing the paed for two years, all the time knowing it is PDA, but all professionals (paed x 2,, ed psych) say they don't have any experience of PDA so we have been left dangling all this time. Finally, we now have a referral to Elizabeth news on centre and will get some answers. If ds isn't PDA then dh and me are raving mad as it is crystal clear to us!
Have you tried any PDA techniques with your ds?

bjkmummy Tue 30-Apr-13 09:53:53

i suspect my son may have it. he has now started at the school the elizabeth newson centre is attached to so im hoping if he is then the school staff will pick up on it and he couldnt really be in a better school for a child that may have pda. they are running a few courses soon on PDA and im quite tempted to attend one its just trying to juggle life so i could do it

popgoestheweezel Tue 30-Apr-13 14:58:21

sweetteamum- I think that sometimes we all feel that we have 'made our children this way' but that is just stupid maternal thought processes where we think everything is our fault. It's not, we haven't created it just because we see it the most clearly.
bjkmummy- dh and I are going on the NORSACA PDA course on the 16th May.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now