Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

what is the official phrase for what ds is doing?

(19 Posts)
bananananacoconuts Sat 27-Apr-13 22:27:07

having a meeting at school on Tues with various paeds, school nurse etc and am finishing my notes and diary ready to take in and show them.

This is very much the start of our journey to diagnosis but ds has lots of aspergers and adhd traits.
He has very recently started to move his thumbs and shoulders in a funny way and i know what he's doing but can't describe it well or say what the word is that i'm looking for!

I can only describe it as a flick of the thumb/finger. where he stretches his thumb backwards then takes it out of the socket and back in again quickly. he also takes his shoulder in and out of it's socket.

please tell me you know what i'm talking about and can give me a technical term!

zzzzz Sat 27-Apr-13 22:44:36

Stimming?

bananananacoconuts Sat 27-Apr-13 22:52:19

Hadn't thought it could be stimming. He's definitely a flapper, a finger twister and a sniffer but didn't think that this taking joints out of socket was the same kettle of fish?!

Do stimmers know why they do it? As i keep asking him why he's doing it and he can't tell me why, just that he can't help it and he can't stop

coff33pot Sun 28-Apr-13 02:10:50

DS clears his throat and says he has to or he will choke.

He cracks his fingers, elbows, neck and toes and says he has to or he cant go out, go school, talk you name it.

He rolls his eyes and says its due to his eyes itchy and need "stretching"

All at the same time though he says this throat hurts, bones hurt and eyes hurt sad

He has been dx with upper motor and facial torettes.

amazingmumof6 Sun 28-Apr-13 02:29:53

is it "dislocating" ?

amazingmumof6 Sun 28-Apr-13 02:42:41

I also found this -

Subluxation refers to a partial dislocation.
A subluxation occurs when the two joint (articular) surfaces have lost their usual contact.

A 50% subluxation means the normally opposing articular surfaces have lost half their usual contact and the joint is partially dislocated.

A 100% subluxation means the articular surfaces have lost all of their contact. A dislocation is the same as a 100% subluxation.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 28-Apr-13 09:57:00

DS says he flaps to 'get rid of the sillies'!

bananananacoconuts Sun 28-Apr-13 11:51:48

Yes, yes, YES! I haven't been on here for a while as things seem to have been getting better with having 3 weeks off over Easter but blimey the last 2 weeks have been hell! I can relate to each of the symptoms you lovely people have also described and am going for dislocation as a stim! Thank you all!

bananananacoconuts Sun 28-Apr-13 11:52:44

Starlight.

We definitely need to get the sillies out here!

Strongecoffeeismydrug Sun 28-Apr-13 12:17:08

Ds has vocal stims where he just has to let out a high pitched screech,he has no control over this,but lately this has decreased alot and he now bends his thumb right back upto his wrist.
Again he can't control this either ,I think stims can come in any form sad

ouryve Sun 28-Apr-13 13:57:50

It sounds like a stim or a tic - a stim if he's doing it for general comfort and a tic if it's down to an overwhelming urge to do that particular thing.

amazingmumof6 Sun 28-Apr-13 14:01:12

isn't a tic involuntary?

ouryve Sun 28-Apr-13 14:15:22

Ues, amazingmum.

I have a perennial throat clearing/clicking tic. I can suppress it, just about, for a short time, but it's painful. Unlike a stim, it doesn't soothe me generally, it just stops my throat from itching. Typing about it is giving me the urge to do it.

DH stims by rubbing his hands together. He feels better all over when he does it.

ouryve Sun 28-Apr-13 14:16:41

Ues?

Er, yesblush

amazingmumof6 Sun 28-Apr-13 15:25:36

I like "Ues" - as long as I'm allowed to use it when playing Scrabble! grin

bananananacoconuts Sun 28-Apr-13 19:24:40

I asked ds and he says he has to do it otherwise he gets itchy and feels like he may explode. So does that sound like a tic or a stim? It doesn't give him comfort, other than the knowledge that he wont explode!!

Also can tics/stims frequently change? This dislocating business is fairly new and the running in a circle flapping seems to have all but stopped!

coff33pot Sun 28-Apr-13 21:45:02

I would say it was a tic banananan smile

Yes tics or stims can come an go and move onto something else. Usually tiredness, anxiousness or sometimes just having to think! causes these in DS.

We had a roar once like a dinosaur that woke most of the neighbourhood up on the way to school grin He said it kinds of built up in his tummy and moved upwards and has to come out. He couldnt supress it as when he tried he was anxious bordering meltdown at the time.

bananananacoconuts Sun 28-Apr-13 22:20:55

Yes coff33pot! I presume what you described in your ds is what mine is saying makes him feel like he'll explode. I also know what you're saying about the noise. He has just gone through a phase of paying homage to car alarms!

Having similar experiences to people on this thread makes it blindingly obvious to me that ds would benefit from an assessment, fingers crossed that we get good news on Tuesday.

Thanks for all replies

Ellenora5 Sun 28-Apr-13 22:44:27

Ds is grunting at the moment, it sounds awful, his stimming is usually, mouth strectching, picking at his fingers, throwing his head back and arms straight out, blinking furiously, and really odd eye movements. It changes from time to time, I have never heard of dislocating, that sounds painfull. When ds anxieties are too much for him he takes himself off to his room and closes the curtains and just sits for a long time. I use to get so upset thinking that he was lonely but I know now he's not, it's a coping mechanism. Best of luck with the meeting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now