Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Maintained special school full

(6 Posts)
sweetteamum Fri 26-Apr-13 20:04:07

I'm currently building my case for dd to be given indi special school rather than the LA maintained one.

I've been on the phone to the 2 other (non suitable) maintained ones and been told they're both full for the school year 2013/2014 anyway.

Now I'm wondering if its possible to add that I to my argument. Or do you think the LA would expect dd to wait until the next year and apply again.

I don't know what dd would do in the meantime as she's at a small unit. She's 11 (12 next week, as she keeps reminding me)

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 26-Apr-13 21:42:44

Yes you can add it to your argument. Make a not of the date, time and the person who you spoke to.

If at all possible ask for them to say it in writing.

In reality, the LA can just tell them to move a cupboard and 'make space', or they could do what they often do and remove a child with a less pushy parent who they feel might be able to give mainstream a try, to make space.

sweetteamum Fri 26-Apr-13 22:33:31

Got all the details here. Thanks for replying.

They wouldn't be expecting her to wait would they? But then again, they still cannot guarantee her a place at this stage. Both hubby and I have been told the same thing now, although he was told 'off the record'

vjg13 Sat 27-Apr-13 10:28:58

The school being 'full' maybe a red herring because as Star says it is only full when the LEA decide.

I would also try to get it in writing from the HT but concentrate your efforts on other reasons why the schools won't meet your child's needs and the school you want will.

cornyderpy Sat 27-Apr-13 14:11:57

go and see them anyway

I found that when I went to see the maintained SS that the LEA were suggesting sending ds to, it was very obvious that the environment wasn't right for him. It actually helped me to focus more clearly on ds's needs with my application for indi school.

sweetteamum Sat 27-Apr-13 18:14:30

Thank you both very much. I'm trying my best to take all the great advice I've been given and use it to move forward.

I've got a meeting on Tuesday regarding school placement so am beginning to stress about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now