Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

STATEMENT question (ADHD) ... meeting this pm!!

(18 Posts)
MadameSin Fri 26-Apr-13 11:27:27

Meeting SENCO later today to see their evidence for request of assessment for statement. Ds2 (ADHD, Dyslexia) is almost 10 on level 2 literacy and level 3s numeracy and reading. According to SENCO he is not far behind enough to apply for Statement on his academic levels, so they are going to say his behaviour is preventing him from progressing. He is not aggressive nor really disruptive, but I get the feeling they are going to play on these areas to get an assessment. Why the hell can't they just say his ADHD prevents him from being able to focus long enough to produce adequate work and concentration issues do not allow him to take in all instructions? My worry is they are going for BESD support rather than supporting his learning. He has a neurological diagnosis that makes it really hard for him to stay on track and that's his main issue. He needs 1-1 support in the classroom during literacy and maths to achieve this. I don't want BESD their first point of concern just because his levels aren't 'bad' enough .... sad I'm going to have to give them my feedback and then write my supporting part of the request for assessment. Am I being naive??

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 26-Apr-13 11:42:28

No. You're not being naive. You want it to be right.

Why does the SENCO want him to have a statement? Ask her.

Does he already have support or any 1:1?

MadameSin Fri 26-Apr-13 11:54:36

I have pressurised the school for an assessment for 3 years siting the fact that he is not making progress in line with his peers due to his dx. They have been very reluctant to support this application because according to them, he does not fit the academic criteria for a statement. I pushed for a learning support rep to visit from LEA who suggested they apply for assessment. I'm not sure if they are pacifying me ... ?? knowing that it will probably be refused - not sure if they would be bothered to do this. They have been collating evidence for past 10 weeks to support the application for assessment. My instincts tell me, it will be based on behaviours that I do not support and have never really been a problem. According to his IEP he has limited 1-1 during the week. usually small group stuff and support classes. School have already told me that even if he gets a statement, he won't get any more support than he already gets ...?? My argument is, he needs loads more 1-1, that's my point!! As he gets older, he is very aware of his issues and gets frustrated. He gets likes this because he is not being supported adequately in class and so on and so on and so ......you know the rest. I just want to be articulate and precise today and not fluff my lines as it's all so emotive for me sad

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 26-Apr-13 12:08:19

Be as articulate as you can be but know this is not your 'one chance'. This can be a long process and unfortuntaly you are likely to have more opportunities to practise.

If he gets a statement, he'll need a list of bullet point difficulties and issues for part 2. Then a list of provisions, solutions etc. in part 3.

You need to start with part 2 in mind, rather than part 3.

Don't focus too much on what he needs at this point, only on what his issues are iyswim. It isn't for you to say that he needs 1:1, though you can kind of allude to that in part 2.

i.e. When in a classroom setting ds remains unfocussed and unable to stay on task. etc etc.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 26-Apr-13 13:39:11

The only criteria for statement is a need of one.

Telling you as well that he is too academically able to apply for a statement is a crock of poo as well also designed to put you off from applying for a statement yourself.

I'd also be looking at other schools; these people do not really seem at all bothered about him even if he did have a statement in place.

MadameSin Fri 26-Apr-13 16:38:34

As I thought .. was hard to stomach seeing it written down ... you child's behaviour being dissected along with some outright lies, lots of contradicting 'evidence' and bullshit. Oh well, it is what it is. I have to write my letter supporting the Statement application which isn't going to reflect the school's angle, but at least it will be 'real'. I'm crap at wording these things .. any help appreciated. My main concerns are: poor concentration, need to move, attention seeking/demanding in a class of 35, immature/excitable behaviour (getting better as getting older), non speacliased literacy support for dyslexia, too large working groups, teacher's general lack of empathy towards ds to the point she finds him irritating sad Apparently he steals, bullies and has no empathy ... none of which I have ever been made aware of over the numerous meetings I've had .... don't recognise that child. SENCO said they had to make it look bad to get assessment hmm WTF!!

MadameSin Fri 26-Apr-13 18:06:07

Sorry, also am worried that if they harp on about behaviours rather than SPLD being route cause, they may start thinking of school with unit or non MS ... def not for ds - likely??

ouryve Fri 26-Apr-13 19:20:25

You have a right to keep him in MS, unless you specifically request otherwise, unless his presence would be incompatible with the "efficient" education of others. There's a dearth of SS places in most LAs (and ours has no unit places at all) and they're not in the habit of offering them on a plate.

While I understand the school wanting to play up the SEBD side if his problems in order to help ensure a statement, they're not doing him any favours by being so dishonest.

And seconding the intelligence thing being BS. DS1 is probably the brightest kid in his school. Because he does have a statement, they are required to deal with all his special educational needs, giftedness included.

That said, we're up for annual review and wanting a change of placement. I've been warned that SEN panels locally will see that he's making progress, academically. The fact is that i could keep him off school and not formally teach him and he would make progress because he's a bright, inquisitive boy. So I am emphasising SEBD, which he does have in spades, at the moment.

As far as your report goes, just write it down (preferably typed!), read it, edit it.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 26-Apr-13 19:20:43

This is your child. How would you feel if he read these documents as a young or even older adult? Claims that he steals when he doesn't ffs.

The trouble is, the way the funding is means that nearly all schools are expected to fund the child's statement out of their own budget (which incidently includes a lump sum for statements) UNLESS the needs are truly exceptional, in which case the LA will give some more.

This incentivises schools to deny a child needs a statement for as long as possible and then when the 1:1 support becomes inevitable, go overboard with stating needs in order to qualify for some more money.

It pitches schools against parents.

I don't know if that is what is going on here of course, but it is certainly happening in lots of places right now.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 26-Apr-13 19:22:36

And agree with oureyve, the 'school' might think there are special schools eagerly awaiting your ds but the truth is the LA will be VERY reluctant to place him in one.

MadameSin Sat 27-Apr-13 09:57:28

Thank you for your replies and advice. Needless to say DH went apeshit when I discussed meeting with SENCO .. he was unable to be there yesterday. The more I think about it the more uncomfortable I am with the whole BESD angle. I wanted him to get help with literacy support related to his academic lack of progress - school have always maintained his behaviour has never bad enough to warrant help based on that. Oh blimey, I feel like I've entered the dragons den and thrown poor ds2 to the bloody lions sad Can we refuse to support application based on what they've said ??

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 27-Apr-13 10:32:48

No. You know what I would do?

I would tell the SENCO that you would like to apply for the statement yourself, given that ds is your child and you feel ultimately your responsibility. You know that the SENCO is busy and you are happy to do the paperwork side of things. However, you are very pleased at the encouragement she is showing for this and you look forward to receiving her support at the relevant times.

Then get on the IPSEA website and get that application in. You will have overall control and be informed at every step of the way. No report will be able to be submitted without you seeing it that way. Despite what it might seem, it is really easy to do. In fact, initially you only have to make a request without giving much supporting documentation to get the ball rolling so I would do it today.

MadameSin Sat 27-Apr-13 11:56:26

Starlight even after they've completed all the forms, tick lists etc? If I apply myself, won't school end up saying their piece anyway?

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 27-Apr-13 12:09:58

What forms/tick lists?

The application is just 'please can you assess my child?'

It helps if you can add 'for the following reasons' but their reply will be 'your letter has been noted, now supply your reasons, and we'll ask the school for their opinion to'.

It is true the school will say their piece, but this way you don't have to agree with it and crucially you have to be copied into everything as you are the lead and instigator.

I think it also shows school that you consider yourself responsible for your child's education and not them, though at all times remain polite about it and show respect for what they add.

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 27-Apr-13 12:13:15

You know. It doesn't matter if you blame someone else. Say you met a parent/ support group/ agressive Internet forum who told you it was best if you initiated it and you'd now like to.

If you want you can give one of the reasons as being that you can appeal the decision but the school cannot. Explain this in terms of it being helpful to the school if their application is refused as clearly they think he needs one if they're going to the trouble of tick boxes etc.

MadameSin Sat 27-Apr-13 12:37:36

Along with their request to assess, they have told me they need to supply 'evidence'. This is in the form of a pupil profile outlining their concerns and a tick list completed by the teacher (3 pages long) grading behaviours from 1-5 incl. concentration, relationships, emotions, ability to work unaided and so on. They've asked me to supply a supporting letter as the parent with our views of what his needs are. They have also had to include a tally chart of when behaviours arise and a timetable of any insidents eg. "ds had a fight in playground, got kicked and scratched the chill's face", or another is "ds called another child a paedo in the playground" .... is that cos he's got ADHD or cos he's a 9 yr old boy? I get a nasty feeling this is going to backfire on us .. jeeze, I only wanted help with the bloody literacy sad

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 27-Apr-13 15:35:18

After a week of working heavily on facial recognition with DS he said to a class peer 'oh what a beautiful chocolate face' which was subsequently recorded as a racial incident hmm.

For get the fact he had noticed. Forget the fact he had SPOKEN to another child. For get he had paid a compliment. Forget the generalisation of his learning from home to school. Instead reprimand him for making a pc mistake and put a black Mark on his file. The parent of the child coukdn't have given a feck what a then 3 yr old said so why did the school do that!?

MadameSin Sat 27-Apr-13 16:34:10

WTF?!?!?! {{bangs head against brick wall}}

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now